Chapter Seventeen

His feet slammed into the ground, painfully jarring his knees. The first thing Grey noticed was the bitterly cold wind that blew harshly about them. Reluctantly, he let go of Richard's hand. As expected, they were standing on a worn track, surrounded by snow-capped pines that clung to heavily inclining slopes. 

He could not see the tops of the mountains for the cloud coverage was so thick. Given the moisture in the air, Grey assumed they were at a high enough elevation to be in them. Maybe it was the anxiety ripping at his chest, but the air felt thinner. Ahead of him, shielded by a tall rort iron gate stood the dark castle he knew so well from dreams and visions. From this angle, the steep cliffs it was built into were obscured but Grey couldn't help but feel glad he had not been burdened with a fear of heights. 

"Walk forward," Credence ordered in a detached tone.

Sending a quick glance at Richard. Grey obeyed. His friend's face was perfectly apathetic as they began to move. So, gripping his wand in his pocket, Grey mirrored his expression. Before them, Grey could see the familiar courtyard and a nasty thought struck him, a reminder of his vision where Grindelwald murdered someone in that very space. But as he watched the little door open, and a trail of coldly familiar faces emerge, he felt comforted that they did not stand in the same positions. Gellert Grindelwald led them of course. He was taller than he appeared in the visions and seemed to ooze power with a small smirk on his lips. 

Pausing before the gate, they waited as Credence unlocked it with a wordless spell and ushered them into the courtyard. It was sealed similarly behind them. Grey tried to focus on the thestrals in the stable, just beyond the dark wizard, ignoring the ominous certainty he felt that everyone present could see them. 

Every aspect of his being was shrinking, cringing, tearing to distance himself from the man before him yet he stayed perfectly still. Running only provoked predators. An eternity seemed to pass before anyone spoke. Grey thought he might miss the first words as the pounding of his heart was so loud. But he did not, could not, in the end. 

"It's good to see you Grey," Grindelwald almost purred.

For someone so abhorrently evil, his voice was so deep and gentle. It felt like a trap. 

The dark wizard's hands hung wandless at his sides. His mismatched eyes flickered to Richard.

"And who is your friend? Speak child." 

There was no malice in his tone. Besides him, Grey heard Richard shift.

"Richard Macmillen." He answered smoothly.

Grey resisted the urge to display his surprise at the statement. Of course, Richard would lie, claiming pure blood. Grindelwald was known to hate his kind. 

"Macmillen you say?" Grindelwald mused, glancing behind him at the beautiful blonde witch Grey had seen in his visions. 

Though she was keeping a straight face, Grey could swear that there was some fear behind her eyes. When she nodded, Grindelwald turned back to the boys. 

"I am glad Grey has a pureblooded friend loyal enough to accompany him here, welcome Richard."

Grey noted two things at his words, that he had used his preferred pronouns (which he definitely hadn't expected) and that the welcome did nothing to ease his anxiety for Richard's safety. While he pondered this, Grey realized that the dark wizard was approaching him. Instantly he took a few steps back. Grindelwald paused his advance and laughed softly to himself. 

"Of course. You fear me, rightly so. Let me make myself clear. I have no intention whatsoever of harming you Grey," He stated plainly, "But if you cross me, or disobey me in any way, Richard will suffer your consequences, understand?"