💞 Darius

◇ Its been years since Darius last spoke or saw his best friend and former lover. But when he meets the newest prisoner, Darius is in for a surprise. ◇

Marching through the dank halls of the prison- the dungeons would be a better term- I heard the scuffling as the others situated our newest captive.

From what I'd been told, she'd been smuggling supplies to Demacia. She refused to say why, and so they're having me speak with her.

Why would someone feel the need to bring supplies to Demacia? They were doing fine on their own. They didnt need help from the outside world.

I rounded the corner, entering the cell as it was closed behind me. The girl sat in front of me, staring up with cold, familiar eyes and a smug grin.

"Ah, so they see me as so much of a threat they have to bring their lap dog in?" She spat, venom lacing her voice.  I gestured for the other guards to leave. They nodded and left us alone, their footsteps receding down the hall.

"Y/n, what the hell are you doing?" I asked immediately, crouching down in front of her. She stared at me as the recognition sparked in her face. The smug look fell replaced with shock, tears welling up slightly.

"Darius, listen. Please, please listen. Its Demacia. I've been working to free their mages. I've been killing their Mageseekers and giving their hiding mages supplies," she whispered, dropping her head, somehow feeling safe enough to confide in me already. I stared at her, sighing, as gently cupped her face, lifting it up to look at me.

"Its okay, Y/n. You've always had such a big heart. I won't let them hurt you anymore, okay?" I whispered, watching her breakdown in tears, leaning into my touch.

"Thank you, Darius. Thank you, thank you, thank you," she rasped after finally calming down. I stood, walking behind her as unclipped her cuffs from the chain in the floor.

"Alright, listen to me very carefully.  I'm going to say that you were paid as a scapegoat, okay? I need you to pretend you spilled everything to me. Is there anyone you can incriminate to take your spot?" I whispered in her ear. She nodded.

"One of my contacts I use to help me smuggle. He owes me his life," she answered. I nodded as I led her out of the dungeons.

We were quickly met by the other guards, confusion evident on their faces. I sighed, seeming extremely exasperated.

"She was a paid scapegoat. She only traveled with the shipment incase it got stopped by Noxus. She says she can get us the real smuggler," I explained, voice cold and distant once more. They only nodded without question, allowing us to pass as I uncuffed her as soon as we were out of sight.

Y/n rubbed her wrists momentarily before throwing her arms around me in a fierce hug. I felt her body tremble with new tears. I held her close, allowing her this moment of such vulnerability.

"Its okay, Y/n. You're safe now. I've got you. You're safe," I murmured in her ear. It seemed to calm down as she pulled away to look at me, eyes glittering with tears.

"Why are you doing this? You have every reason in the world to turn me in. I-I- Darius, I left you when you needed me most. How can you still care about me?" Y/n whispered, sniffling as she calmed down.

"Because I never stopped loving you. You left because people needed help. I was angry for a while, but I couldn't hate you. You left not for selfish reasons, but to help. It didnt matter who they were, what they were, you helped. And I couldn't hate you for it," I told her, holding her face in my hands. She smiled, leaning into the touch.

"Besides, you're the one thing I will always put before Noxus. Just promise me you'll stay this time?" I said. She laughed, pressing a soft kiss to my lips. As she pulled away, she wiped at her face, drying the last of the tears.

"I promise. Just let me keep helping the mages. Should everything go to plan, they'd make extremely powerful allies," she said, leaning into me as we started to walk away from the building.

"Care to elaborate?" I hummed, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"The mages known I'm from Noxus. Sylas- their leader- agreed to pledge allegiance to Noxus should we free them. I've- I've talked to Swain. He agree with me," she explained, her voice getting quieter at the mention of Swain. I paused, glancing at her before we made it to our stop. Y/n didnt meet my gaze.

"What do you mean you spoke to Swain?" I asked, staring her down. She fidgeted, as though struggling to find the words.

"Swain- I've worked with Swain a long time. Even before Irelia cut his arm off and he found Raum. I owe him my life, so I've been gaining him favors throughout Runeterra," she whispered, as though scared I was going to hate her. I sighed, leading her inside my old home.

Once inside I was quick to shed my armour, haphazardly throwing it in the corner of my room as I pulled her into the bed with me, holding her close to my chest.

"Honestly, you could kill someone- you probably have- and I still wouldn't care. Y/n, I care more about you than my own life. You're safe with me, I promise."

◇◇