💞 Warwick

◇ Warwick has always struggled to remember his past. But he remembers a face, and the feelings that come with it. But will they run when they see him? ◇

I felt a stabbing pain in my lungs as I ran, clutching my arm. I didnt know where I was, only that the Chem Barons weren't happy with me and that I needed to get out of Zaun.

I had to escape them, and the monster lurking here.

I ducked, hearing the knife of my pursuer whistle over head. I pushed myself to run faster, almost running into the other one chasing me.

I was trapped. My heavy breathing filled the silent air as I backed away from the one in front of me, waiting for the one behind to grab me.

It never happened.

Instead, I heard the man screams get cut off as something ravaged him. His friend started running, pushing me down as though to use me as a distraction.

I spun around, hyperventilating as I watched this-this beast slowly creep forward from the shadows, all fur and metal claws. It sniffed at me, teeth bared as it smelled the blood from the wound on my arm. I accepted my fate, dropping my hand to my side and awaited the claws. They never came.

Instead, I felt a wet tongue lapping at the wound and a small whimper. The beast had made it's way to my side, crouching to eye level.

"First they made a monster, and now they chase the innocent," I heard hum growl, words rough and agitated. He sniffed the air, eyes flashing red as the tubes around his body changed colors.

He gave me one last look before streaking off after the other. I sat there, dumbfounded as I heard the other scream, which was promptly cut short.

◇◇◇

I was quick to find myself at the base of the ChemBaron tower, my arm patched up. I dont know why I felt so confident, even when I constantly felt watched.

It didnt matter, I was quick to make way to the top, knowing they were convening.

Of course, there were guards posted outside. But they weren't much of a problem. When they're more metal than man, a little bit of cutting in one spot really does some damage.

Busting the doors down, I watched as the Barons stared dumbfounded, save for one.

Renata Glasc. Her eyes twinkled with amusement.

"Speak your mind. You've made it this far and somehow thwarted attempts at your life," she said, leaning back in her chair, legs crossed.

"Why me? I've nothing to do with the Barons or your businesses and yet you insist on trying to take my life. Pathetically, might I add. The only person here I know hasn't sent anyone after me is Renata. Explain that," I snapped, eyes flickering between the barons.

Renata spoke first.

"They all insisted you were going to their downfall. Some little kid from the alleyways? A sewer rat? Boring. But, you're rather interesting now. They were right, you see. They knew who you bring with you all the time, even if you're unaware of it," she said, stand up and quickly leaving the room.

A shadow dropped to where she had been sitting, metal claws curling around her seat as a low growl could be heard.

I knew who it was. I gave the Barons a smile before leaving, hearing the gore splatter between screams.

◇◇◇

I sat in the rafters of the abandoned warehouse, staring down at the empty floor below me. I had heard him enter, the sound of his familiar steps making me smile.

I watched as he crept from the shadows, sniffing around before looking up, huffing at my height. I swung down, landing gracefully in front of him before wrapping my arms in his tangled fur.

He was hesitant, but returned the hug gently, as though afraid he would break me.

I took a deep breath before stepping back, squishing his face in my hands.

"We need to give you a bath and a good brushing, you know that?" I teased with a smile, watching him grumble and groan.

"I'll just get all gross again. No point when I'm constantly, you know, killing things," Warwick groaned, batting at my hands. But I could see he wanted to say something,  with the look he had in his eyes. So I waited for him to say it patiently.

"I remembered your face. From before they made me a monster. I remember. When I saw you that night, I remembered. I didnt remember your name, but I remember your face and everything I felt for you. It has no changed. You didnt run from me. You've never hidden from me. You treat me like I'm not a monster. I like it," he finally said, waiting anxiously for my answer. I paused a moment before laughing, throwing myself into his arms.

"Of course I didnt run. If I did, I knew you would've caught up to me anyways. And when you protected me, I knew you weren't going to hurt me so there was no point in running. Hey, and you're not a monster. Not to me. Okay? And maybe I can help you see yourself that way," I murmured, feeling him squeeze me closer to me, muzzle resting in the crook of my neck.

We stayed like that, sitting on the ground just curled into each other. Something about it was so, so familiar. I felt him shuffle slightly, his mouth flopping open and close like he had something to say but couldn't form the words.

"I- love you, Y/n," he muttered, so quiet a barely heard it. I laughed a little, but quickly cut it short when I felt him tense up underneath my arms. I pulled back slightly to stare him in the face.

"Sorry, I didnt mean to laugh at you. I think i love you, too. I dont know, I've only felt it once before," I murmured as he held me again.

Despite the fact he considered himself a monster, i was glad he found room to love again. Maybe it'll be good for him. Maybe I can help him become human again.

Either way, I planned on sticking with him for the long run. No matter if hes human or not.

◇◇