💞 Mordekaiser

◇ Mordekaiser has always been bitter about his mortal life, specifically his former spouse. The only person he'd ever cared for. Now, he looks for them in everything. And one day, he finds them. But not in the way he expected ◇

I stared at the still pool, its misty waters reflecting my glaring complexion. I dont know why I thought it'd show something else.

I dont know why I hoped that maybe this time it'd show them. Y/n, the only person who stuck around me. The only person I loved.

My delicate little bird, with their pretty words and soft voice. Their gentle hands and caring touch. Their glittering eyes and curved lips. All of it had been mine.

And it was gone. It'd been gone for a long time. It had been my fault, too.

◇ Mortal Life ◇

I watched from afar, seeing them chase my love. I was trying to get to them. To save them. To hold them in my arms and tell them it was okay and they were safe now.

I shouldn't have told them to go on their own. I should've been with them. I knew people weren't happy with me, I should've known they would've been targeted first to get at me.

I watched as arrows flew, piercing their soft skin. I can still hear their scream, that blood curdling scream as they fell. It reverberated in my bones, shaking my soul. I couldn feel my heart clench as I tunneled in on them. Everything else didn't matter.

I ran faster, watching their attackers flee. Much too fast for me to catch. But I didn't care. I was quick to reach them, scooping their shivering, bloody body in my arms. They stared at me, giving me a weak smile.

"I knew you'd come," they whispered, leaning into me. "It's so cold, darling. Everything's so cold."

I held them tighter, removing my helmet with one hand. They lifted a hand, shakily cupping my face. I leaned into it, pressing my hand against it.

"Its okay. You're safe now. I'll get you help and you'll be better in no time. I promise," I said quickly, standing up. They shook their head, even as I started moving.

"No, I know I won't make it. I know a fatal arrow shot when I see one. And you came for me, anyways. You could've left me. But you came," they whispered, voice cracking as they teared up.

"Of course I came. You can't leave me. Please, Y/n. Please dont leave me," I begged, trying so hard to stay strong for them as I moved faster.

"I'm trying, my love. I am. I'm trying. But if I don't make it, I love you, you know that?" Y/n grunted, grimacing at the pain. I smiled weakly at them, stopping as I knelt down with them still in my arms.

"I know, I know. I love you so much. Don't forget that, even in death," I whispered. I felt their last breath shudder out as they fell still. I let myself break down, knowing we were far from most civilization. The tears came hard and fast as i doubled over their body, as though engulfing them would warm them up, bring them back.

Of course it didn't.

◇ Present day ◇

"You seem like you've lost someone," a voice behind me spoke. I turned to look at them. They were hunched over, covered in a cloak and bits of armour. A sword hung loosely on their hip, an elegant thing that looked more like it was for decoration.

"You know nothing of me. Why do you assume I've lost anyone?" I snapped, quick to jump behind my walls once more.

"Because I know that look. I remember it. Anyone who knew anyone knew what had happened. The great Lord Mordekaiser lost his love, and with it, his humanity. He became the wrath of the Bastion. A terror out for the blood of those who killed the other half of his heart. Blood for blood. Villages burned in search of those who did it. So many people killed in the hunt," they said, speaking as though from memory.

"Of course I wanted revenge. They killed an innocent being. The only thing that made the mortal realm worth anything," I spat, remembering the things I'd done in my rage of grief.

"You were grieving. You were blaming yourself. You thought that maybe if you killed the murderers, that your love would be brought back. But all you found was a cold bed and an empty heart. One I could not mend, no matter how hard I tried," they murmured, studying me closely as they stood up, dropping the hood.

I knew them even before they revealed their face. I stared at, scared that if I moved they would disappear.

"You were hurting. I tried so hard to get back to you. I did everything I could. But I was weak then. A lowly spirit with no power. But when I heard you'd passed, I thought I could find you. I did not expect you to take charge. I'm amazed I could reach you at all," they said with a smile, taking a step towards me and reaching for my hands.

I took my helmet off, allowing it to fall to the ground. I took their hands in mine, kneeling to their height.

"You've returned to me. After all this time I thought you were lost to me. But how? How did you get here?" I asked, pulling them to me. They fell into my arms, such a familiar action I almost thought we were alive again.

"I made a deal with Viego. I told I'd help him find a way to get Isolde back to him if he helped me get back to you," they explained, watching for my reaction carefully.

"And did you?"

"Sort of. It's a part of Isolde's essence. A piece of her soul. It's up to Viego to return to it to its owner. That is something I cannot do. But he was nonetheless appreciative. Something along the lines of him not understanding how I married you," they snickered, giving me a cheeky grin. I smiled back with a soft chuckle, holding them close to me.

"I dont care what he said. I'm just happy to have you back, my love."

◇◇