x. "truth 2.0"

Scarlett's P.O.V.:

From the second they stepped into the room, I knew it wasn't going to be easy. I sensed the bubbling unrest in the two of them. They took their seats silently and kept their distance from each other as well as from us.

Elizabeth handed them each a glass of orange juice. They accepted them gratefully and kept sipping it as they talked. I did not miss Cecilia's firm grip on the glass. However, I couldn't tell if it was a fear that we would take the glass away from her again that tempted her to this grip or much more that she had to hold something to be able to keep her feelings under control.

My gaze wandered to Chris's, he too seemed nervous. Nevertheless, he nodded encouragingly at me. We would get through this together.

"You're probably wondering why we wanted to talk to you and the whole story is actually very complicated so please let us tell you everything, no matter how angry you will be," I looked at my children and felt Colin grab my hand. To say I was nervous was an understatement. My breathing quickened briefly, but also quickly returned to normal.

"We're listening to you, it's all good," Felix said and then took a sip of his orange juice.

"You've probably already noticed, but I'm pregnant and expecting a child," I continued. I gave Chris a quick sideways glance and then continued. "I have a daughter named Rose, as you may also know. But it's like this...", I stopped.

"Rose her pregnancy was not my first pregnancy," I hesitated. Cecilia's expression changed for a few seconds, she looked thoughtful. She quickly took a sip of her juice.

"You say you are our mother, don't you? Why else would you tell us all this?", Felix spoke softly and tears came to my eyes. I was an actress and I was not in control of my emotions. Silently I nodded and squeezed her husband's hand a little tighter. I breathed in and out softly. My gaze wandered to Felix, but I couldn't gauge whether he was angry or sad right now. Maybe also disappointed or happy. Cecilia was not easy to judge either.
"I was still very young when I got pregnant with you and-", I continued speaking, but was interrupted somewhat harshly by Cecilia.

"Why are you telling us this?" she asked, her voice sounding cold. She held the glass tighter in her hands and looked at me with a stare.

"We have been looking for you! For a very long time and now you're finally here, it's unbelievable. As if fate had willed it so," Chris spoke. He looked uncertain too, but at the same time just as happy as I was to finally see her in front of us. He had also missed her terribly and in the early days I heard him crying every now and then. We decided together that adoption was better, but it wasn't easy for any of us. His parents were supportive, but not everyone was so kind.
While my siblings were very supportive, my parents were not at all thrilled about my pregnancy. Especially because Chris and I decided to remain friends.

"You say you've been looking for us. Does that mean you're our father?" asked Cecilia and Chris nodded. He threw her a small smile, which she didn't acknowledge.

"Why didn't we stay with you?" asked Felix now and all pairs of eyes turned back to me. I looked at them uneasily and sipped my glass briefly before lowering it and beginning to speak. "Chris and I were very young. Too young when we had you. Don't get me wrong. We fell in love with you from the first second we saw you. You were so beautiful and you still are! But I wasn't up to the responsibility and neither was Chris. I knew I loved you and you meant so much to me and to us! But we wanted to give you the best life possible and we couldn't at that time," I explained and a few sobs escaped my mouth. Colin pulled me into his arms for a moment.

"We really wanted the best for you. But we were at the beginning of our careers and under enormous pressure. We couldn't take care of you, we weren't ready," Chris continued.

"And now? Do you think your lives are passable enough for us now and we fit in?" asked Cecilia, looking at me and Chris with mixed emotions on her face. She snorted. It didn't seem like she believed a single thing we said.

"That's what we were hoping, anyway," I murmured softly. Cecilia bit her lip and avoided my further glances.

"How can you be so sure that we are your children?" asked Felix. A little unsettled, I looked at him and then pointed at Cecilia.

"We can do a DNA test if you want, but the resemblance speaks for itself, don't you think? Besides, you look a lot like me and Chris too," I then replied quietly. Mutely, Felix nodded and then looked at his sister.

"And what are your plans now, Mrs Johansson, Mr Evans?", Cecilia looked at us doubtfully. I felt my eyes darken for a second. It really hurt me that Cecilia addressed us like that and wouldn't even say 'Scarlett'.

"We'd love you to stay with us," Colin answered the question for Chris and me, stroking my wrist tenderly with his thumb.

"You could always go back and forth between Scarlett's and Colin's houses and then back to mine. Of course we'd do things together too," Chris explained and I nodded.

"We have a life and it's here in England, here in Cambridge. How do you picture that? We have a family," Cecilia continued talking, clutching the glass tighter and tighter.

"We'll sort it all out, I promise. You could come and visit your friends or invite them to stay with us. I'd really like to meet you both, we all would," I said softly.

Felix nudged his sister from the side. He probably wanted to know what she thought of the whole thing.

****

Hey, here's the whole story from Scarlett's point of view.
I hope you like my story so far.

~ Aurelia