**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚Chapter 5˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

"Death is not the opposite of life, but a part of it." –Haruki Murakami

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

✿POV: Cuyler✿

I couldn't sleep no matter what I tried. My mind simply continued to run rampant with millions of thoughts, what mess have I gotten myself into now? I dragged my hands down my face and let out a groan. It was still dark out, the cabin was cold and silent, it's been this way for a while now. Then a thought crossed my mind, one that I dismissed as soon as it even dared to present itself. I could go see Spruce... No, no? No! What am I thinking? I don't want to talk to her more than I have to. Then I thought back to what she had told me earlier. It's true, what am I going to do when dad finally comes? I can't just sleep on the bench when I have room. He'd get immediately suspicious and the amount of trouble I would get into if I was caught. I'll have my abilities and tools taken away for weeks or worse... forever, stripped of my position and discarded as a failure.

I would have continued this very pleasant train of thoughts if it weren't for the sudden loud noise that came from none other than upstairs

I would have continued this very pleasant train of thoughts if it weren't for the sudden loud noise that came from none other than upstairs. What was she doing now? Against my better judgement, I climbed up the stairs and found myself in front of my very familiar bedroom door. My hand hovered over the door handle, debating with myself whether or not I should just go back downstairs and forget that was until I heard another 'bam' followed by an "Ow!" That's it, my fate was sealed. I'm going inside to see what's going on.

"What in Odin's name are you doing at this hour?" Moonlight poured from my singular window illuminating my small room. Although what shone the brightest was Spruce's luminescent white eyes, the same eyes which simply looked at me with the blankest of expressions. My gaze went from her to the object she was holding in her cold dead hands. When I realised what it was I rushed to take it away, this action was reciprocated with a very confused and shocked expression.

She then opened her mouth "I was trying to get a book." She then pointed upwards to a dark green leather bound book which was teetering on the edge of the bookshelf. "Then that wooden animal fell on my head instead of the book."

"Un-huh," I slowly nodded my head as if I completely understood the situation.

"What is it anyway? Why are you so protective of it?" There she goes again with her questions. I looked back down to the small wooden carved wolf, memories flowed back to me and I felt a small frown tug at the corners of my mouth.

"That doesn't matter. Not to you anyway." I placed the wooden wolf on the shelf next to me.

" I placed the wooden wolf on the shelf next to me