Duncan x Courtney Neighbour AU

A napalm sunset simmered over the suburban streets, blaring oranges and pinks rippling in the small puddles. These hues were just a signal of the imminent danger around her, residing next to her very home.

And what exactly was that danger you might ask? Courtney would tell you it was a neanderthal, and you'd laugh in her face. Of course, the once previously dominant species went extinct 40,000 years ago. But a few of them must've been able to escape the jaws of death, and managed not to breed themselves into non-existence. And one of these ancestors just so happened ended up living back-to-back from Courtney.

Duncan Nelson.

From what she had observed, his parents seemed normal. When the Nelsons first moved into the neighbourhood, her parents threw a semi-lavish dinner party to get them associated with them. They accepted the invite, and when Mr and Mrs Nelson showed up on their porch that evening, they seemed cordial. They could hold a conversation that spanned politics, the arts, world issues and sports. That of which was important to Courtney. They followed etiquette of the Santana household- taking off their shoes, and washed their hands.

The dinner party was the night she first encountered Duncan, and within 5 minutes, she had decided she hated him. Hated him and his green hair. When he trundled into the Satella dining room, ate with his mouth wide open, and called a KFC to her house, that's when she decided he had to be adopted.

But when she turned her head to the Nelson parents, in an attempt into pry into whether her hypothesis was true, she saw it. The resemblance between Duncan and his father was uncanny. They both shared the same hair colour, and Duncan's features belonged to his father. Maybe he's only his dad's... 0ffspring. She turned her head to Mrs Nelson, to whom stared back at her with a polite smile and the exact same eyes as Duncan.

When the Nelsons bade them a good evening, and left for their new home, Courtney was left with one question. What went wrong with this... delinquent? A question that replayed over and over in her mind.

For instance, now was a time where that question plagued her mind. Courtney was sat poised at her desk, approaching potential questions on the LSAT she will take in the future. If not hard enough with the fact she hadn't eaten in 7 hours, Duncan was currently kicking a basketball at his garden wall. What angered Courtney even more was that he was smirking up at her occasionally. His perma-cocky expression was completely visible from her bay window.

Duncan had just kicked the ball particularly hard, and Courtney's scowl deepened. She threw her pen onto the table, and got up from her desk. Duncan had seemed to take notice of this, and purposefully kicked the ball into Courtney's garden. Courtney's hand balled into a fist, and Duncan sniggered at the sight.

Courtney soon disappeared from the view of her bay window, and she was already storming down the staircase. Duncan was already popping his head up against the wall, so it looked like he was doing pull ups. What he was really doing was waiting for Courtney.

Courtney stomped out of the glass doors to her garden, her footsteps filled with more annoyance with each step she took. "Why did I know you'd be waiting for me?" Her dark eyes narrowed, and she crossed her arms against her chest.

"Uh, because you're a nerd?" Duncan laughed, his bust visible from over the wall. Courtney could see how his biceps were tensing as he held himself up. She quickly realised what she was doing, scowled again, and turned her nose up. Duncan had learned that was her go to when she was embarrassed, so he snickered again.