Singing Strays

"You alright Copper?" Alexis asks as she sees Copper fall to the ground.

"Yeah. There you are Tod." Copper says as Tod comes over.

"Shh! I found one." Tod says as the group hide in the grass and see a cricket a little ways away.

"No way." Copper says.

"Look at the size of that thing." Tod says.

"Sure is ugly." Alexis says as she smiles at the two younger creatures.

"It's a monster. I can smell its evil breath from here." Tod says as he sniffs the air.

"No uh that's me. I had socks for lunch." Copper says ashamedly.

"Ugh!" Tod says in disgust.

"Ugh! How about you or Alexis take this one." Copper says nervously.

"Come on. We're a team right?" Alexis asks as Copper looks at her.

"Wanna shake on it?" Tod asks.

"Shake on it." Copper says as he, Alexis and Tod shake their bodies before charging at the cricket and beginning to chase it. After a while of chasing Copper soon gets stuck on a fence as Alexis and Tod come over.

"We chasin' crickets or are we just hangin' out?" Tod asks as he laughs.

"I messed up again. I can't do nothin' right." Copper says as Alexis gets him unstuck from the fence.

"That's not true little brother and you know that." Alexis says.

"You're housetrained ain't ya?" Tod asks as Copper gives a shameful look and whines.

"Oh Copper." Tod says as Alexis shakes her head before the group then hears honking.

"Race ya." Alexis says as the three race to the side of the road and see a bunch of trucks.

"Wow! The trucks for the fair." Copper says excitedly.

"I've never seen so much stuff in my life." Alexis says.

"Oh boy. I can't wait. You goin'?" Yod asks.

"We're going." Alexis says happily.

"Chief says you can win a ribbon." Copper says as he wags his tail.

"Really? For what?" Tod asks curiously.

"Just for being a good dog." Alexis says as the group sees a giant pumpkin on a truck.

"That's a pretty good pumpkin." Tod says.

"That one's even bigger. And noisier." Copper says as he hears snorting from another truck.

"I don't think that was a pumpkin." Alexis says as she sniffs the air.

"Hey you hear that?" Copper asks as the group hear howling in tune coming from a truck.

"Copper!" Alexis shouts as Copper falls into the road and into the way of a truck before she quickly runs down and pushes herself and Copper out of the way.

"You two okay?" Tod asks as he runs over.

"Tripped over my own ears. See? I told ya. I'm just a bad dog." Copper says sourly.

"You are not a bad dog. Clumsy maybe but definitely not bad." Alexis says as she nuzzles Copper.

"She's right. Don't be like that." Tod says.

"Copper! Alexis!" A voice shouts in the distance.

"Uh-oh. Time for my huntin' lesson. Hey maybe I'll be good at huntin'." Copper says as he smiles.

"Yeah." Tod says.

"That's the spirit." Alexis says as she smiles.

"I'm gonna be the huntingest puppy ever." Copper says happily.

"Now you're talkin'." Tod says as the group runs back towards their homes.

*Timeskip*

"Hi Chief. Ready for my lesson." Copper says as he and Alexis run over to chief.

"Oh durn my hide. Playin' nursemaid to a pup when I should be a-practicin' for the contest. Alexis that should be your job considering you're his sister." Chief says grumpily.

"You're the best huntin' dog in the whole county. Also I already look out for my little brother thank you very much." Alexis says as Chief smiles.

"Well I reckon it's true. I mean they don't give those fourth place prizes to just anybody." Chief says as he looks at the ribbon on his barrel.

"Oh there you are Copper. Good girl Alexis. At least I know Copper doesn't wander too far with you on his tail. We'll make a huntin' dog out of you yet. You'll catch up to Alexis soon enough. Here snuff this up. Now when this rabbit takes off you follow his scent. Then when you have him let loose with a big ol' hound dog howl." Amos says as he gives Copper a makeshift bunny rabbit to sniff before Copper lets out a ear piercing high pitched howl.

"Ooh." Alexis says as she rubs her ears.

"I must be goin' deaf. I said howl." Amos says before Chief step on Copper's tail making copper yelp loudly in a howl causing Amos to step on his gun and shoot a branch.

"You're gonna lose your head one of these days Amos Slade." Tweed says as the branch falls on Amos.

"It's my head woman. Good boy. Okay Chief. Get goin'. What are you waitin' for? Go get him." Amos says as he ties to rabbit to Chief and sends him off as Copper stays put.

"Go Copper." Tod says in the distance.

"You can do it!" Alexis says as Copper runs off with her follow behind him before the two run into Tod.

"Tod? Oh I'm gettin' all turned around. I don't know what I'm doin'." Copper says discouragedly.

"And that's what we're here for. Just take a big sniff and look for the scent." Alexis says.

"When you smell him lift up your head and howl." Tod says.

"Like this?" Copper asks as he then sniffs Tod and begins howling.

"No Copper!" Alexis shouts.

"Not me!" Tod shouts worriedly.

"Uh-oh." Alexis says worriedly as the group sees Chief and Amos.

"Gotta go." Tod says as he runs off with Chief chasing him. After Tod gets away Amos then comes over angrily to Copper and Alexis.

"Bad dog Copper. You are a very bad dog." Amos says angrily as Copper hunkers down whimpering.