Chapter 8: Waylaid Delegates

The collection of circus performers all wished Tessa well before Donny, Lonny, and Marcus saw her to the street. She, after all, had to be in place before everyone else.

As Marcus waved down a carriage, Lonny reassured Tessa, giving her a big hug. "Alright, love, tear down that curtain."

"Lonny's right; put on a show they will never forget," Donny encouraged, patting her shoulder. Though the twins both were using old theater idioms, chiefly because circus and theater performers were a superstitious lot, she understood their true intent; do your best, and best of luck. If anything, they all needed luck tonight. If things did not work out, she shuddered to think what would become of her adopted family.

After a short ride in a carriage (the earlier protests had since been disbanded), Tessa arrived back at the university grounds at a quarter past seven. She went to the science wing to ensure everything was still in position. There, she found Professor Cornwall in his classroom. He was busy arbitrating with several students as they argued over some form of semantics involving presentation order.

"Ah! Miss. Copperfield, there you are." he said, looking pleased at her arrival.

"Good to see you too, professor," Tessa said, bowing, noting that the skylight was still ajar and the room was still warm. She also noted with some amusement that the glass from the window she broke had already been cleaned up, but the window itself remained open and exposed.

Rummaging through her bag, Tessa withdrew the sign-up form that she had quickly scribbled out on the way. "Here you are, professor." She handed him the signup sheet.

"Excellent," he said, taking the document and sliding it into a folder with several others before addressing the three students, "Now, gentlemen, if you would please excuse me, I have work to do."

The three young men bowed and left the room as the door shut behind them. Professor Cornwall rubbed his head, "entitled little pricks."

"Why?" Tessa asked, looking after the boys with an amused expression, "Who were they?"

"The sons of nobles from Avalon and Missidith," he griped.

"I see. Amazing how some well-placed coin can open doors for you."

"Honestly," the Professor said, heading for his desk, "if I had even half as many students like you who got on here on merit, I would be a very happy man."

"Now what?" Professor Cornwall huffed as he turned around for the door he had just shut, opening it. His expression went from irritated to surprise, "Maxwell? What are you doing back here, old boy? I thought you had an airship to catch?"

"We did! But wouldn't you know it? I've misplaced my wallet, and they wouldn't let us on." A man from out in the hall said with a particularly heavy Avalonian accent.

"You've lost your wallet? I swear if your head wasn't attached, you would lose that too." Professor Cornwall laughed, "Can you just go buy another ticket?"

"No," the other spat, "apparently, they're sold out. We either must take a train all the way down to Gailsong and double back or catch a steamer all the way around down through the Grace Archipelago. So much for getting there early."

"That is unfortunate." the professor said apologetically, "When do you leave?"

"Not for a couple days."

"Well, old Chap, I am sorry to hear that. I am afraid I do not have much time to entertain you or your grievances, but if you wish to come in for a minute while I pack, you could come with me and see the school's science expo. I know it will not be nearly as grand or as useful to you as the event at that city of tomorrow, but at least it will prove amusing."