Chapter 19: Party of Intrigue

Tessa was not surprised by the number of wealthy donors that Charles Higgins had managed to convince to come to his party. It was filled to the brim of foreign millionaires, politicians, and representatives, as well as renowned scientists and notable aristocrats. The thing that did surprise her was the several neighboring native governments, tribes, and rebellion leaders who had also sent delegates. People that Tessa thought she would never see in the same room were rubbing shoulders. Ex-Loyalists, dressed in their old uniforms, were swapping war stories with several generals of the reinstated federal army, including the legendary General Pike, the Hero of Berg.

But even this was upstaged by the conversation making the biggest splash among the foreign delegates and politicians that of the fifth in line to the Pearl Dynasty, the Missidithn princess Pearl speaking candidly with the Rus Kingdom's foreign minister. Tessa was unaware of either of their names or who they were until Sir Cornwall explained it to her. The only reason she even cared was that he and Miss Briggs were corralling her toward them.

They had already ferried the reluctant inventor from one conversation to the next, using their title of representatives to the Avalon Kingdom to introduce her to their acquaintances. Now, as they finally reached the elegant princess and the stout representative, Tessa realized that the two were speaking Avalonian (albeit with heavy accents from their own languages). Sir Cornwall slipped into the conversation flawlessly, introducing Tessa all while paying homage to the royalty. Tessa, on the other hand, felt infinitely uncomfortable in the presence of someone so much higher in class compared to her. She participated as much as it was appropriate before finding the first excuse she could to leave.

Tearing herself from the conversation, Tessa took a deep breath and collected herself. She was overwhelmed, and her hands were growing shaky. The nervous woman began to see how serious Sir Cornwall was at getting her to join them in the kingdom of Avalon. Hoping to distract herself from her urges to steal something, Tessa made her way to the buffet.

Tessa mingled near the food, picking at the meat and cheese she heaped on her small plate to keep her hands busy when Miss Briggs appeared at her shoulder.

Looking sideways at the overloaded plate of snacks, Miss Briggs gave an ever so slight smile, "I take it that you do just about as well as I do in large crowds."

"You mean not at all?" Tessa asked.

Miss Briggs nodded, "Precisely." She, too took up a small plate and placed a few hors d'oeuvres onto it.

Tessa looked about. "Where is Sir Cornwall?"

Miss Briggs shrugged. "Speaking with some minor noble from Freeland. He was far too over-the-top for my liking, but those are some of Sir Cornwall's favorite people," she said with a sigh. Shifting her stance, she set down the small plate and inquired almost in a passive tone, "If I might ask, is it always hard for you?"

"Hum? Is what always hard?" Tessa asked as she munched on another cracker.

"Your desire to take things." Miss Briggs said quietly.

Tessa choked a little as she cleared her throat. "I...I mean." She floundered only for a moment, shoving another wad of cheese into her mouth.

"Oh, come now, Miss Copperfield, you can be honest with me. I saw the pocket watch, both the taking of, and its return at dinner. As well as a few other odds and ends throughout our travels together." She adjusted her wire-rim glasses.

Tessa looked down at her feet, admitting, "Some days are better than others. It's a condition I have had since I was very young."

"So then, it is impulsive?" Miss Briggs asked with a raised brow. "You can't control it?"