Chapter 21: The Marlow Twins

The gilded elevator lightly vibrated as it ascended to the upper floors. Tessa leaned against the far wall as Donny stood next to her, fiddling with his cane. He sighed and looked up at the yellow glowing lights above their heads. "That could have gone better."

Tessa did not respond.

"I must say, the invisibility gear Higgins's men had was interesting. Do you have any idea how it worked? I could think of a few things it could be useful for."

If Tessa was honest, she was intrigued by the devices. Still, she wasn't about to let Donny know that. After all, she was still upset at him.

The elevator bell dinged as it came to a stop, the metal grate sliding open, followed by the door.

"The room is just this way," Donny offered, taking the lead. As soon as they entered, Tessa was plowed over by Donny's sister.

"There you are!" Lonny embraced Tessa with gusto, smothering her face in her buxom chest "I was wondering when you were going to get here!"

"Lonny, for heaven's sake!" Tessa growled, struggling to peel her friend off.

"Well, you're no fun this evening." The blond woman ambled over to the bed, sitting down among the collection of suitcases they brought with them. Crossing her legs, Lonny picked up a stylish bowler with a bright yellow feather stuck in its band, popping the hat on top of her head. "So, when are we starting this thing?"

"Starting what?" Tessa asked, removing her jacket and hanging it up on a coat hanger.

"The side job, obviously," Lonny said with a wink and a sly look.

"We are not going to do anything of the sort!" Tessa said with finality, for what little good it did.

Lonny feigned, looking hurt. "But, Tess, we came to support you."

"Poppycock. You only came to steal from all the well-to-dos and the bigwigs."

Lonny looked confused. "But...isn't that why you are here? Why you accepted the invite?"

She shouted, frustrated at the twins for their pigheadedness. "Why can't you get that through your thick skulls?"

"But what better way to get your closure than to ruin dear Mr. Higgins's party?" Donny came to his sister's aid in an attempt, Tessa was sure, to convince her.

The problem was it was partially working. After the spat with Higgins, Tessa had half a mind to pull something by herself, never mind the twins' persistence for them to work together. She sat down in one of the plush chairs, blowing a loose tendril of hair out of her face.

"Besides," she crossed her arms, "we have nothing planned."

Lonny gave a mischievous glance, "We?"

Donny nodded. "Yes, I do believe you heard correctly."

"Could it be that she might be considering it?" Lonny leaned in.

Donny mimicked Lonny, "I suppose she is."

"I...I did not say we!" Tessa insisted. She shoved both of them back lightly as she stood.

"Yes, you did. Before and just now."

"Emphatically so."

"Knock it off!" Tessa strode back and forth. The twins' capacity to banter and play off each other occasionally drove her crazy. Even though Donny was far more the smooth talker and Lonny could seduce a saint, they both knew exactly how to push Tessa's buttons to get what they wanted. "You don't even know what is worth stealing here."