Chapter 12: The Drop

The next day, Tessa, Marcus, and the Marlow twins all got themselves together, gathered up the goods into a small trunk, and, heralding a cab, made their way to the Back Lot theater in downtown Kenton. The Back Lot was, in fact, one of several theaters, all in what was famously known as Playhouse Row.

When she was younger, Tessa had been to that theater houses on multiple occasions. She had seen famous shows like The king and the Asp, The Tragedy of Rim, and Bonafede Bonehead. The Back Lot was by no means the most famous or the most popular theater on the row, but it was consistent. As they approached, however, Tessa noted right away that the building in question appeared to be boarded up. Renovations were taking place, and it was clear that they had been at it for a while.

The carriage driver promptly helped them unload their trunk before continuing on his way, merging back in with the hustle and bustle of the main thoroughfare. As for Tessa and the twins, they looked about at the long row of theater houses with both amusement and excitement. Tessa felt like a young girl again, seeing all the performers out front of the playhouses trying to catch the eyes of the tourists and other such theatergoers milling about on the street. It was like its own type of circus, a permanent one.

Tessa knew that Marcus, at one point, had threatened to turn the circus troop into bona fide theater, with all the pros and cons of being a stationary operation. But, because of their side jobs, being stationary wasn't exactly the best of ideas. and so it was put off, but Tessa knew Marcus wanted to do more than just a traveling show. He wanted to own a respectable theater as grand as the Caveat or as prestigious as The Town Square.

"Looks like they've been working on this place for a while," Lonny said, looking up at the scaffolding and tarps lining the outside of the building.

Marcus agreed, adjusting his grip on the trunk he helped carry, "Looks that way. Come on; the drop is in the back."

Taking a side alley between two of the theaters, Marcus and Donny lugged the crate as Tessa and Lonny followed in their wake. The theater on the opposite side of the alley had its side doors open; a performer in a chorus line outfit stood idly by with a cigarette hanging between her fingers. The young woman raised a questioning brow as Donny and Marcus passed by but did not stop them. She then glanced at Tessa and Lonny. Tessa couldn't miss the performer giving Lonny and her one over before giving a sly smile and a wink. Lonny, always flirting, returned the gesture before catching up to the others with a giggle, "She was cute. More your type?"

"Stop," Tessa pressed, knowing fully that Lonny was trying to mess with her.

"Back here," Marcus said as he rounded the corner. But he stopped.

Donny, too, stopped in his tracks as he whistled, "Wow. Tess, check this out. It's one of those new state-of-the-art steam-powered horseless coaches from the imperial core." He set down the crate, "Looks like they have some serious money if they have one of those."

"Really?" Tessa peeked around the bend to see what they were looking at. Her heart skipped a beat as she shrieked with delight, "A Tomson four-cylinder V-type!" She rushed over and observed the vehicle with excitement and wonder, brushing her hair behind her ears. She fawned over the six-wheeled self-propelled sports carriage, with its sleek casing, tinted windows, spring suspension, and rubber wheels. Just the exterior alone was a feat of modern engineering. "This has the latest in compact boiler design— Oh wow! Look, it's got a dual intermediate reheater," she noted the aftermarket customization, "I wouldn't be surprised if this thing could get up to seventy miles an hour!"

"Eighty, actually, if it is warmed up," someone with a raspy voice said from behind. "But I wouldn't suggest going that fast on anything but a paved road."