TMROTRPATGYL c35

Chapter 35: The Treasure of Ilya

"Ilya, could you come with me for a minute?" (Anise)

"Yes?" (Ilya)

I approached Ilya after nightfall. Upon being stopped, she stared at me quizzically.

"Just a small evening drink." (Anise)

"...Huh. That's rare." (Ilya)

"It's just for a little bit. Can't you?" (Anise)

"...I'd be troubled if you pester me during day... I don't mind." (Ilya)

Ilya nodded at me with a sigh. I could only smile wryly in reply. After that, I stayed with Euphie until I calmed down; however, once I did, I was so embarrassed I couldn't look her in the eye.

Euphie must've known because she returned to her room for an early rest while looking troubled. I was embarrassed and frustrated because I felt like I was being played for a fool; honestly, it feels so complicated.

I invited Ilya to my room and watched as she poured a glass of wine. Truthfully, I don't drink much. I'm not a strong drinker, and I wasn't sure if I'd like the taste. If I wanted to get high, I would rather resort to drugs than alcohol.

"Here you go." (Ilya)

"Oh, thanks. Shall I pour for you?" (Anise)

"Feeling playful?" (Ilya)

"I think it's playful enough to ask you for a drink." (Anise)

"That's true too." (Ilya)

Ilya took a seat after preparing her own wine. Then, we gave a toast with our glasses. I took a small sip, then a throatful, puckering my face.

I stick my tongue out slightly. Ah, I really am bad with alcohol. Even then, I wanted to drink, so there wasn't much of a choice. Meanwhile, Ilya has already downed half of her drink. She's a strong drinker.

"Sorry for how I acted during the day." (Anise)

"No problem." (Ilya)

"...I really didn't expect Euphie to declare she wanted to be monarch..." (Anise)

"I didn't expect it either." (Ilya)

Really though. I never thought Euphie would come to that conclusion. I don't know what will happen in the future, but I can't refuse Euphie's favors anymore. If she really does ascend, I'll be out of a job.

Imagining such a future just makes me burst out laughing. I'd been so worried and distressed, but I finally felt like I could accept it. Yet, it seems Euphie easily swept it all away.

"...It's a little frustrating." (Ilya)

"...Ilya?" (Anise)

"I was proud to say that I was the closest to you. I've just been reminded that I'm just a follower." (Ilya)

Ilya muttered a few words after downing her wine in one go. Before she could pour another glass, I took the glass and poured it for her.

Ilya glared at me, but I ignored it. I continued to pour the wine before sitting back and sipping my own.

"Ilya is like a big sister to me." (Anise)

"...Am I?" (Ilya)

"Yeah. You always scold me and make sure I don't make mistakes. The reason I've come so far is because you've been watching over me all this time. So, thank you so much." (Anise)

"This feels like a dismissal." (Ilya)

"Well, I'm not a princess anymore. You can quit if you want." (Anise)