Chapter 22

As soon as I made it out the doors I saw Loki turn a corner. Hiking up my dress, I followed him, running as fast as I could without slipping in flats. I'm going to have to hide my boots or tennis shoes under these. Odin likes me now so I don't think he'll mind.

I rounded the corner. Loki wasn't too far away from where I stood.

"Loki!" I called, walking faster towards him as he turned around.

You know how in the movies where someone is about to confess their undying love and they call out to the one they love (usually in a crowded hallway or airport) they looked shocked but happy. That was not what he looked like. He looked angry and frustrated.

"What's wrong?" My face fell as I stopped in front of him.

"Nothing. Go back to Thor. He's probably looking for you." he snapped and turned to keep walking.

Setting my face in a determined expression I ran back after him, stepping in front of him.

"What is that suppose to mean? Thor doesn't care where I am all hours of the day." I put my hand on his chest to stop him from walking any further.

"Really? You two looked very cozy back there. Are you sure he won't miss you?"

Again, he tried to walk away but I wasn't having any of that. We were going to get every straight right here, right now.

"What has gotten into you?" I asked, but one look at his face told me everything and my expression softened into one of understanding. "Wait. Are you...jealous?"

"No," he said too quickly. "Why would you think that?"

"You have nothing to be jealous of." I stated, ignoring his question.

"I'm not jealous." he tried to argue.

"Loki, you have nothing to be jealous of, because Thor isn't the one I'm in love with."

He was quiet for a moment before he asked, "It's Fandral, isn't it?"

I chuckled, shaking my head softly as I wrapped my hand around the back of his neck.

"For someone so smart, you can be such an idiot sometimes." I whispered as I brought our lips closer to each other's.

First, I just pecked his lips, testing the waters. When he didn't pull back I brought him back to me. His hands rested on waist to bring me closer. In books and movies they say they feel like a million fireworks are going off all at once.

This was nothing like that. It felt like there was more there and I couldn't explain it. It was like the butterflies in my stomach had machine guns and bombs were going off while I was going upside down on a roller coaster only to drop straight down.

We pulled back, suddenly breathless and my cheeks were flushed with the emotions I was feeling.

Told you.

Shut it, you.

"You're in love with me?" Loki asked.

"For a while now. I just had to admit it to myself."

"You know how last night I told I was think about things I should and that's why I couldn't sleep?" I nodded. "This is what I was thinking about, because I'm in love with you too."

Loki grabbed my hands and started to pull me further down the hall.

"I want to show you something." he insisted.

"We can't leave the party."

"We already left." he pointed out.

"You know what I mean. Odin threw it for me, I can't blow it off."

"I thought you loved me."

"We are not playing this game." I pointed an accusing finger at him.

Loki smirked as an idea popped into his head and I knew that it wasn't going to be good for me. He pushed his face into my neck.

"Please?" he whispered, ticking my ear with his breath.

"Loki." I warned.

"Come on, love. I want to show you something."

He knew exactly what he was doing to me and it was working.

"Fine, Mischief Maker. Let's go." I caved in.

Pleased with himself, he led me farther down the hall and then a few more hallways. We dodged a few guards by hiding in random rooms and linen closets, making me think we were doing something illegal. But Loki being Loki told me that he use to hide from the guards whenever he went to the place when he was younger.

Finally, we stepped into the palace's garden, but we didn't stop there. Loki led me into the hedge maze. I didn't have time to admire the flowers that were growing on the 'walls' because I was trying to keep up with Loki. His excitement was childish and innocent, not to mention contagious.

Loki jolted to a sudden stop and I found that we were at our destination. A fountain was in the middle of an open space. It looked like it was glowing as the soft trickle of water found its way to my ears. Unlike everything else in the palace, it was a blueish-silver. Even though it was pure and simple, it was easily the most beautiful thing I've seen.

It filled me with a warm feeling by just looking at it. My mind went to my family back on Earth. The memories of meeting Mikey, finding out Bruce was my father, and rejoining with Peter brought a smile to my face.

"Do you like it?" Loki's voice drew me out of my mind.

I nodded as I moved closer to the fountain.

"How did you know it was here?" I asked.

"My mother showed it to me. It was a wedding present from Odin to her. She would sometimes bring me here to teach me magic. I came here whenever I felt lost or in need of peace from everything. We're in the middle of the maze so not many people know how to get to it." Loki explained.

"It's beautiful."

"It's enchanted. Who ever looks at it or is around instantly feels happy or at peace. What did you remember?"

"My family." I answered.

Even though I came here yesterday I missed them desperately. I guess that's what happens when you spend your whole life wishing for something only to have to part with it, even for a short amount of time. My family is the most important thing to me. All I wanted to do was protect them.

Music from the celebration leaked into the garden. The softness of it and the constant trickle of the water mixed perfectly, creating a beautiful melody.

"May I have this dance?" Loki asked, holding his hand out to me.

I accepted and he pulled me closer to put his arms around my waist as mine snaked around this neck. My head rested on his chest as we swayed to the music, listening to his heart beat.

Sometimes we need to take a break from reality and slip away from for a few moments. That's what Loki taught me.

*************

So, what did you think? I worked hard on this chapter and the kissing scene.

Give me some feedback, please.

Hopefully the next chapter will be up soon, but you never know with me.

Have a great day/night!:-)

-