02. Reset

"The bird fights its way out of the egg."

From "Demian" by Herman Hesse.

Byeoksan High School. The Mock Test. D-14.

"Attention!" The class 1-6 homeroom teacher stopped the crowd of the class. The noisy morning was silenced in an instant. A girl with long straight hair in a beige zipper hoodie stood next to her teacher. "Here. We have a new classmate. Soo Bin-a, Say hi."

"Annyeong, na Seo Soo Bin-iya. Banga— (Hi, I'm Seo Soo Bin. Nice to—)" The cold look on her beautiful face softened when her eyes locked with certain delicate dark brown eyes. The stillness increased, and her heart which was stopped for a long time began to beat again.

"Soo Bin-a?" The teacher's voice broke the silence between them. She bit her bottom lips, lowering her head a second before resuming. "Nice to meet you." 

Soo Bin who has come back now is not the one who was been by his side for 7 years.

The smile she always had. Those twinkling eyes she had. Her warm atmosphere gave way to cold eyes and sharp expressions in the bitter air. But the boy's eyes were still the same, endlessly, still warm and affectionate.

"In the third line, you see the empty chair, right? Yeon Si Eun, the boy on your left. You can seat next to him." Soo Bin's eyes wandered around the class finding the empty chair. "Gamsahabnida. (Thank you.)" She bowed to the teacher before lifting her feet to the seat, feeling everyone's eyes on her.

She had only one goal: to graduate quietly. She doesn't have to have friends, she just needs to study hard and get a college scholarship. So she can escape from the hell that everyone called home. Escape from him.

"Okay! Let's start the class!"

***

"Ireona. Na hante hal mal eobsnya? (Get up. Don't you have something to say to me?)" Ahn Soo Ho towered to the black eyes girl. She put down her pen and looked up at him, her soft eyes meeting his unreadable look. Anger. Worried. Longing.

"It's stuffy here, let's get some fresh air." The voice he wanted to hear tickled his ear. She walked ahead of him, tying her long hair into a ponytail on the way out, leaving Soo Ho to stare at her back with wet eyes and tailed her behind. "Nappeun, Seo Soo Bin. Hangsang ji meotdaeroya. (Mean, Seo Soo Bin. Always do whatever she wants.)"

The School Rooftop.

"Nice view here." She closed her eyes, burying her hands in the pockets of her zipper hoodie. The summer breeze caressed her cheeks.

The calming of her heartbeat rushed, a strong chest collided with her back and tight arms wrapped around her. A light sob came into her ears. Again, a drum of silence peeked at them.

"Don't ask me anything. I'm begging you, please. I'll tell you everything when my heart is ready. I'm sorry." Her voice sounded in a shaking whisper, gripping tightly on his hands as if found a way to not break into pieces. Her tears silently flooded her cheeks.

"I missed you so much. I won't ask you but tell me you won't leave me again. Or then it's really-I feel like I'm really going to break... For the past three years, a day without you is so unfamiliar and messy to me." Soo Ho faced her body, wiping her tears that won't stop falling. He desperately begged her with his blurry vision.