08. Blue

"It was the short men that caused all the trouble in the world."

From "Goldfinger" by Ian Fleming

His pale face, a grey zipper hoodie wrapped around his navy t-shirt. Yeon Si-eun walked aside the street to his home, breaking through the summer night wind. Digging his hands inside the pocket, his step was halted, when he stared ahead of him.

"Are you..." Two guys blocked his path, one with his metallic blue jacket and the other with shoulder-length hair with a black jacket paired with a mint green T-shirt.

"Normally, we just drop it off, you know. This is the last time we deliver it to you." The blue jacket handed him a pack of fentanyl. "Come one." Si-eun looked at him blankly.

"Hey, I said it's a girl." Another guy, who was taller than the other two, leaned against a road portal. He said with a calm but deep voice, hiding his face under his black cap with a cigarette between his fingers.

"Darn. We messed up." The guys from before panicked hiding the fentanyl inside his pocket. Si-eun glanced at the tall guy before turning to the two. "Move."

"What?" The blue jacket snorted. "Move. You're standing in my way." Si-eun repeated bluntly. "Well, I don't like that tone. You must have a death wish. I don't like those eyes either."

Si-eun face darkened, He pulled out a pen from his pocket and clicked. "Hey, quit staring. Or I'm going to smash your stupid head—" Seok-dae cut him off, pulled up the collar of the blue jacket, and threw it to the side of the road, paving the way for Si-eun. "Leave."

Si-eun glanced at him and waltzed away. "Know who you're messing with. He was about to attack you."

*** 

D-Day.

The Mock Exam.

"Ya, Oh Beom Seok damimi neo bureudeondae. (Bum Seok, our teacher wants to see you.)" Young Bin came into the class, he elbowed Bum Seok in the arm. "What?" Bum Seok looked confused, his pupil was unfocused. "Our homeroom teacher wants to see you." Young Bin said before walking out of the class and Bum Seok was hesitant to follow him.

Outside, Young Bin pulled out two canes of drink from the machine, handing it out to Bum Seok. "Drink this." Bum Seok grabbed it, the hesitant look never left his face as he watched Young Bin sit on the chair next to the machines and drink his drink.

"By the way, it seemed like you had some hard time in Mungang. I talked to Ji Won yesterday," His wide smirk made Bum Seok's breath stop. "What?"

"He said you were beaten and bullied there. Is that why you transferred here? Like a loser?" Once again, his words made his mind go back to the scene he never wanted to think about. He froze.

"Well... I'm not trying to scare you or anything. I hope we can be friends... take a seat." Young Bin patted the seat next to him. "Okay." Bum Seok's face was reddened, doubtfully stepped to the seat.

"Aren't you thankful? I'm keeping your secret and asking you to be friends." Young Bin glanced at him and then back to his drink. "Yes. Thank you." Bum Seok said breathlessly.

"Then could you do me a favor?" Young Bin flashed a devious smile, reached into the pocket of his uniform shirt, and pulled out something. "Take it."