~ Chapter III ~

"So, let me get this straight," Oda whispered, leaning closer to Dazai as he held his glass of whisky to his lips. He took a sip, savoring the flavor before continuing. "You made a deal with him, and all you asked for was an apartment?"

Dazai stood on the seat next to Odasaku, his head resting on his arms on the bar counter. He had a half-finished drink beside him, evidence of his troubled state of mind. He glanced sideways at Oda, a hint of annoyance coloring his voice as he replied, "Pff... Yeah."

Oda's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he processed Dazai's response. It wasn't like Dazai to agree to anything so easily. Sensing the weight behind Dazai's tone, Oda pressed on, his concern growing more apparent. "And you agreed so readily?"

Dazai slowly lifted his head from the counter, his eyes narrowing with a dangerous glint. It was a look that Odasaku had seen before, a warning sign that Dazai was genuinely displeased with the situation.

"May I ask why?" Oda's voice held genuine concern for Dazai's well-being. He knew that Dazai rarely agreed to anything, especially when it involved Chuuya. This deal must have held significant importance or consequences for Dazai to have granted his approval so readily.

Dazai leaned back slightly, his gaze fixed on Oda. He pondered for a moment, contemplating the best way to articulate his reasons. Finally, he began to speak.

"Odasaku, sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the greater good. This deal with Chuuya may seem like nothingthat important, just an apartment, but it's a small step towards building trust between us. Chuuya and I have always been at odds, constantly at each other's throats."

The words made Oda choke on his drink. It was highly unusual to hear such sentiments from Dazai. He scrutinized Dazai's face, searching for any signs of deception. Ultimately, Odasaku gave up and asked directly, "Are you being sarcastic?"

Dazai's voice grew softer as he continued, his words laden with a tinge of vulnerability. "I know it's hard to understand, but I believe there's a glimmer of hope in this situation. If I can show Chuuya that I'm willing to compromise, to let go of my selfish desires, perhaps he will see the same in me. Maybe, just maybe, we can find a way to work together, to make a difference...OF COURSE I'M BEING SARCASTIC!" Dazai's voice trailed off, and then he quickly lowered his tone, realizing the attention they were attracting from the bar patrons. He made himself smaller in the chair, trying to avoid further notice. Odasaku was the only person, besides Chuuya, that ever saw Dazai show real emotions, like frustration, anger or sadness.

"I see." Oda said, his voice filled with hesitation as he spoke. Something about Dazai's behavior was making him feel disturbed. It wasn't unusual for this to happen, especially when Dazai, a 16-year-old kid, was talking about suicide. Oda didn't say anything else. He guessed that Dazai wanted some silence; he seemed really angry with himself.

Oda knew that only with time he would understand the reason behind Dazai's cooperation with Chuuya's terms in this deal. He only hoped that it wouldn't turn out badly for Dazai or himself.

Oda wanted to say something else, but he was interrupted by a small sound coming from Dazai's pocket. Dazai moved his hand, cursing as he glanced at the phone screen. He ended the call and placed the phone on the counter before resting his head in his hands.

Oda took the last sip of his drink and observed Dazai. "Who was it?" Odasaku glanced at the still active phone screen, and in that moment, another call came in. Dazai's phone started ringing once again, and before Dazai could answer, Oda caught a glimpse of who was calling.

"What?" Dazai responded, his voice dripping with annoyance. Oda observed as Dazai fearlessly engaged in a conversation with the boss. He was in such a foul mood that he didn't even bother concealing his anger. Not that Mori would care. He had dealt with Dazai long before Oda came into the picture; the boss was likely accustomed to Dazai's lack of respect when he was in a bad mood. After all, Dazai was on the verge of becoming an executive and held great importance within the organization. His mind was powerful. Dazai possessed a different kind of intelligence, even for a 16-year-old. He was too clever for his own good.