Chapter 7 -Strange place

(Danala)

Caleb helped me unpack the next day and he stopped by on the Tuesday morning to make sure that I was fit for work. He deemed that I was well and accompanied me to my lab. We had to walk through my house, up the hill behind my house and into a white bungalow type building behind my house.

I unlocked the door and Caleb followed me in. This lab was huge and long. There were research desks with gas taps and Bunsen burners connected to the back wall. There were display cabinets screwed to the floor along the right hand wall and they were filled with chemicals. Along the left hand wall were cupboards and on the doors there were names of different types of equipment like pipettes. All my research was on the tables at the back and it was all still in boxes.

I sighed as I looked at this room. It was white and the floor was laminate. I pulled my hair band off my wrist and tied my long black hair back into a high ponytail. By the door were pegs, one of them had my new lab coat and there was a red box screwed to the wall by the pegs that said it held protective gear.

“Here, allow me.” He helped me into my lab coat and he handed me my protective glasses.

“I hate looking like this.” I wined. He stepped back and took me all in.

“I like you like this. You look smart.” I smiled and didn't feel like a geek when I wore my lab coat now. “Do you want me to help you unpack your research?”

“You know I could use an assistant. Do you have any science students here? They have to be smart.”

“I'll see what I can do. So is that a no on the help?”

“You can help me for now, but I need a student.”

Caleb and I walked over to my research which was hidden away in boxes. I opened up the file boxes and handed them to Caleb who filed them away in the file cabinets next to the door, on the other side of the hooks. I placed my chemicals that I'd already made in a cabinet and locked it back up. We put everything away and I walked (practically pushed) Caleb to the door.

“Are you sure I can't help as your assistant? Just for today.”

“You need to go and find me one.”

“I can do that tonight, after I've left you.”

“I'm fine, look I can walk and I need you to go and find me a student. My work is top secret.”

“Fine, I'll be around when I've found you a student.”

“Ok then, bye Caleb and thank you for all your help.” I got him to the door and he stared at me. He smiled down at me and I looked up at him through my protective eye wear. His eyes looked sad and then he was gone. I did feel sad that he was gone, but I needed to get on with my research which is top secret and I could have showed him, but I needed a science student more than a hot sheriff!

(Caleb)

I was defiantly falling for her! Shit! I really didn't want to leave her in her lab on her own. I wanted to help, to be around her, but something about her had changed and she sent me away. Maybe she wanted to keep this professional, but the way she smiled at me told me differently.

Argh! Now I remember why I gave up with woman years ago, they are so difficult. She wanted a science student? Well she is going to get one. My nephew.

(Danala)

I'm not going to say that leaving the safety of my home was easy for me because it really wasn't. I was shaking and so worried that someone was going to hurt me. God, where was Caleb when you needed him?