One

"...I know, it really is such a wonderful opportunity for Avery, honestly, I never thought she would have the chance-but really, it does makes sense-she is so advanced and gifted compared to the other students at her school." From the back seat, I can hear my mom jabbering on and on into the phone pressed to her ear.

I sigh and blow my bangs off my forehead. Mom was giving the same speech when I dozed off an hour ago. Actually, she's been repeating it nonstop for the past three weeks, chattering with her Catholic soccer mom friends about how lucky I am to have gotten into the boarding school. Lecturing me on why I should, "Be grateful to have this chance at such a wonderful education,"

Ha! I can already tell it's going to be just like public school, full of petty white girls that gossip about you behind your back. Lucky opportunity indeed.

"...Wait, really?" Mom again. "But I thought Janet...ooh." She nods, as if all along she knew exactly whatever rumor her friend just passed on.

I roll my eyes and turn up the volume on my earbuds. I wish they weren't corded, or at least I had a back-up pair, but whenever I suggest this to mom she says, "You don't need another pair, one is enough," Or, "It's a waste of money, yours are fine."

Ugh! I scowl. Exactly how long is this drive going to be? 

I jerk forward as we come to a screeching halt at a red light. I grab onto the inside handle of the door to stop from sliding, and find my nose pressed to the window pane. The rain blurs the scenery outside. I lean further and blow on the glass, and then the car takes off again. We shoot through an intersection and I feel my stomach lurch. Mom really needs to take driving lessons again. 

Thankfully the ride gets a little smoother and I rest my head on the window. I close my eyes and zone out, listening to my loud music.

Three hours later the car comes to a screeching halt. Mom kills the engine, and hops out. She comes over and opens my door. "Avery? Avery, hon, we're here." She shakes my shoulder gently. 

I start, and pull out my earbuds. "Hmm? Already?"

"Yes, honey, up you go."

I swat at her hand. "No touchy the hair,"

She pulls her arm back. "Alright. Now get up, we need to get you checked in,"

I sit up and smooth the crinkles in my shirt. My earbuds fell silent two hours ago, but I haven't touched them until now. I unplug them from my phone and slip both into my pocket. 

Okay. I think, It's okay, you're okay-at least you'll be okay. It's just a boarding school, everything will be fine. Just relax. And try not to freak out.

I try not to think about the fact that I won't see my mom until Christmas. Or the fact that my dog isn't going to be there. And also that I'll be sharing a room with four other girls. I pull on a strand of my hair. Relaxed. Right. I'm real relaxed.

I jump out, and sling my backpack over my shoulders. I go to the trunk and mom hands me my suitcase. "Do you have everything?"

I nod, and tighten my grip on my suitcase.

"Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be,"

"Right. Now, let's go meet the headmaster,"