Four

I realize with a cringe that my palms are slightly sweaty. Come on, how scary can these roomates be? As soon as I ask the question I freeze, a image of vampire-turned high school girls appearing in my mind. 

Maria seems to notice my expression. "Don't worry," she says, "I know all of you roommates well, they're all quiet nice girls."

Maybe vampire-girls? Geez, I need to stop, this whole vampire thing is actually starting to scare me a little. "Okay....Lead the way,"

Maria walks up the tall spiral staircase, we go up one, two, three floors before stopping. 

"Why isn't there an elevator or something?" I pant, as I drop onto the top step. Am I seriously expected to walk all the way down those stairs just to get to breakfast each morning?

Maria smiles dryly. "Yes, well, Mrs. Clowel believes everything should be done...traditionally, and well, frankly, old-fashioned."

"I can tell." I mutter. 

Maria's lips twitch, but she makes no move to confirm she heard me.

"Alright," she says, consulting her iPad, "you're in dorm 388, that's just down this hall."

I follow her, my pulse ringing in my ears. 

She stops at a door with silver numbers on the front-388. "You ready?"

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to get the vampire image out of my head. "Yes."

Maria cracks open the door, and I get the first view of my terrifying roomates.