Five

There are four of them (as promised), all with perfect hair, makeup, outfits, nails, and attitude. Scariest of all; they're...cleaning. 

Loud music blares from a radio, as they all dance around the room, carrying brooms, rags, and spray bottles of disinfectant. 

"What the-" my mouth hangs open. 

A girl hanging over the top edge of a bunk with  a feather duster swivels to look at me. She drops from the bed gracefully, landing before me with a glare. "New girl?"

I tense, too many times have I been the "new girl". "Yes."

She looks at the other girls, and they all stop what they're doing to stare at me. Someone turns the music off. 

There's dead silence, and then-

"OMG!" One girl squeals she tosses her rag, and runs toward me. She squishes me in a tight hug, and then pulls back with another scream. "I can't believe you're here! We've been down a roomante for almost a year now, but no longer!" Her blond ponytail bobs as she speaks, somehow fitting her ecstatic persona.

I stand still as a piece of wood, my arms stuck to my sides. "Um...hi?"

"Hi! I'm Blake! It's so nice to meet you!" The blond girl gives a little jump.

"Hi, um, nice to meet you too. I-I'm Avery." I extend a hand, but Blake hugs me again, instead.

The first girl gves Blake a look, "Blake, remember some people get uncomfortable when you hug them before even knowing them."

"Oh." Blake's face falls. "Sorry."
"Hey, it's okay. You just...uh, startled me, is all."

The first girl is still glaring at me. I shift, not sure how to react. 

"I'm Zoe," is all she says.

"Hi." I reply with a tiny wave, still uncomfortable. 

Zoe is intimidating, her black curly hair is up with a fluffy bun, her nails are painted a soft pink, and she has at least six bracelets on each arm. Her skin is pretty, the color of chocolate, her eyes the same creamy color, staring into my soul.

A girl over by the only window in the room inches forward. Her long brown hair falls over her face, sheilding her appearance from my view.  "I'm Charlotte," she says, and scowls at me before disappearing back into the corner of the room, shadows hiding her once again.

I gulp. "Hi Charlotte, I'm Avery."

"I'm Gabbi." A girl with short strawberry blond hair says, with an akward laugh. Her red crop top matches her hair and strawberry earrings. 

"Nice," I say. 

There's a short silence. 

And then: "Ok, now that you've all met, I'll leave you guys to get to know each other better, see you at dinner!" Maria smiles, gives me a thumbs up, and then leaves the room.

There's another silence. I don't know how long we stand there, staring at each other. 

"So, uh...nice to meet you all?" I finally choke out.

"Hmpph." Zoe mutters in reply. "Your bed's over there," she points to the corner, "you'll be sharing with charlotte." 

The idea of sharing a bunk with the creepy shadow girl sounds nowhere near delightful, but I give a tight nod, and drop my bed on the mattress. "So, what are we doing?"

Zoe smirks. "Here," she throws me a rag, "it's cleaning day." 

The music turns back on, and everyone starts dancing again, throwing their rags, and giggling, none of them giving me a second thought.