In the beginning, there was...

Darkness.

Cold.

Pain.

Fear.

I groan, cracking open my slightly swollen eyes. I suck in a big breath, frowning when I smell stench. I gag, rolling over and emptying the contents of my stomach through the floor. I then realize that wherever I am, it must be an elevator, because it seems to be going up, though not very steadily.

I cough, trying to get that bitter, burning feeling out of my throat. I slowly shift my weight around, moving my legs and getting my blood pumping faster. I hesitantly stand up, wobbling slightly.

I stick a hand out to hold my body up. My head pounds, like something is squeezing the sides of my neck and cutting off my blood circulation. I cough again, wincing when my throat feels like it's being scraped by burning shards of metal.

"Hey." I say tentatively. "Hello?"

No response.

"Where am I?" I look around. Darkness. "HEY!" I shout. I swallow harshly.

I'm a girl. I'm in an elevator going up. It stinks. That's all I know. My name, my past, my family, all wiped clean like a slate. I don't know where I am or where I'm going. I shake my head side to side slowly, rubbing my temples and squeezing my eyes shut.

I sigh, opening my eyes and clearing my throat again. The cage jolts hard, and I lose my footing and fall, scraping my hands and banging my head in the process. I groan loudly. What did I do to deserve this?

I sit up, wiping my bloody hands on my... I guess jeans. My eyes adjust to my surroundings a bit more in the very dim light coming from outside the cage, and I look around slowly. 

Boxes and crates are stacked in a semi-circle around me. There are bags of stuff and the odd bottle or sack in a heap in one corner. A few kitchen knives, bound with a tough looking cord, lay a few feet away from me. I squint my eyes, thinking.

The box I'm in suddenly jolts again. It starts to zoom upwards faster. It makes my stomach churn, but I've already emptied it on the ground.

"HEY! LET ME OUT OF HERE!" I ball my hands into fists and start banging on the floor, the walls, anything I can reach.

The cage just responds with another jolt and pours on more speed.

I feel my throat muscles seize up. I start to breathe fast. I clutch at my throat, feeling panic flood me. My breathing starts to speed up more, and my heart beats faster.

"What the hell?" I whimper. I look around with wide, terrified eyes. 

"LET ME OUT! WHERE THE HELL AM I GOING? IF I GET OUT OF HERE, I'M GONNA KICK WHOEVER PUT ME IN HERE TO THE MOON! YOU HEAR ME?" I keep screaming. I jump up and pound on the ceiling and the walls again. My knuckles split open and start to sting, and my palms buzz and ache from hitting metal.

No response. 

I sit down, done with everything. I want my memories back. I want to get out of this box. I wanna go home, back to my old life that I can't even remember because someone decided to take all my memories and shove me in a swinging metal box. If I don't die from whatever is at my destination- if this box ever stops- then I will die of terror.

Suddenly there's another jolt, and I stumble backwards. My knees buckle as a second jolt shakes the metal cage I'm in, and I fall to the floor, hitting my chin and nose against the metal grate. I groan at the intense pain shooting through my body, pushing myself up and wiping my nose, which has started to bleed. I grab a piece of dirty cloth from the ground, using it to stop the slow, red trickle dripping from my nose.