11

Athena Jones

A week later

A week has passed since the incident. I felt like I’ve gotten over with it, or at least try to. The only thing that kept bugging me about it was how quick Malfoy rushed out of the dormitory before thinking twice.

He, William and Blaise did get In trouble for hitting Ethan, but they said his nose and hand were already broken before they even got there, maybe that figure that saved me did that. I still don’t know who that was but I think I’m grateful that it was there.

Ethan did get expelled from the school, in fact no other school was going to take him in either, the Aurors did take action upon him.

I’ve kept a distance from Malfoy since that day. I didn’t really intend to but I was so terrified, and embarrassed after I saw him just storm off that I avoided him at all cost. It was not easy but I managed.

That’s until today, when I was walking around the castle one afternoon, and then I saw Malfoy just standing there, leaning against the wall. He was all by himself, no one around him.

I was tempted to duck behind a corner and walk away. I didn’t want him to see me, confront me, or even talk about that night, I just want everything to go back to normal, me hating him, and him hating me. That’s how it was supposed to be.

As I walked past him, I could feel his eyes staring at me, his expression showing slight interest. I don’t know if it was due to curiosity, or if he wanted to have a talk with me. A part of me didn’t want either to happen, and I wish I could disappear, but I didn’t. I kept walking, my legs moving slowly, and my heartbeat rising.

When I pass him, a moment of silence passes until he finally steps away from the wall and starts walking my way, I try my best to ignore him until he finally speaks.

“Jones.” I felt my breath hitch a bit as he called me

I turned my head slowly to look at him “yes?” I asked a little nervously, trying to play it cool, although it didn’t seem like it was working.

“You’ve been avoiding me?” He asked, his tone surprisingly softer than I expected it to be, there was something off about his tone today, something I wasn’t used to and didn’t really know how to react to.

His question made my heart skip a beat, I wasn’t expected him to ask, I thought he would just walk away or pretend to ignore me.

“Umm,” I said, a small awkwardness spreading across my face as I cleared my throat. “I don’t know it’s not like we’re fond of talking with each other”

“I know that, but you’re like running away from me,..” He took a small step towards me, still staring at me with curious eyes.

I had to try my hardest not to step away from him as he slowly approached me, I could feel his presence getting closer until I could feel the warmth from his body. “I wouldn’t call it running away” I responded, my head tilted down as I spoke to him, doing my best to avoid eye contact.

“So what would you call it then? You avoided looking at me, you avoid being in the same space as me, you avoid walking on the same road I was on, and you just avoided me again until I had to call you out on it,” He said taking a step forward. He was now just inches close to me. His hand was starting to fidget a little.

“I don’t know it’s just embarrassing —” I try to shrug

He cut me off mid sentence

“Embarrassing? What’s embarrassing?” He looked at me with a mixture of curiosity and amusement, like he expected to hear an awkward story that happened to me, I stayed silent not really knowing how to respond, I looked away as he took another step closer to me.

“That night, I came to you-“ I say

“So you’re embarrassed because of what happened that night?” He interrupted, making me remind how he saw me at my vulnerable state and the fact that at that time I didn’t felt embarrassment.

“Yes…” I mumbled as I glanced up at him for a second before looking away again, I had to be honest here, if it wasn’t for that night I probably would still be embarrassed to talk to him, but because of what happened, I found myself feeling slightly different about him.

“Why?” He asked, frowning.

“Well because you are you and I’m me, we’re not exactly friendly or vulnerable around each other,” I say wanting to roll my eyes.

“Fair enough, we’re not particularly fond of eachother I agree, but I still don’t get why you feel embarrassed about it…” He said.

I sighed, I was running in circles at this point, “because you saw me… you know…”

He stared at me for a long moment before he spoke. For the first time tonight, he let out a small chuckle, I could tell even he was a little surprised.

“Jones,” he scoffed “for someone who claims to hate me.. you sure are a very vulnerable person around me.”

I avoided him for weeks so he could never possibly see that vulnerable side of me and yet, I had been showing it to him for awhile, during the whole thing with Theodore and then with Ethan, he had definitely seen more vulnerable side of mine without me realizing it because I was always so caught up in being mad at him and hating him.

“You’re not really that hard to read as you think,” he said as he took a step away from me and rubbed the back of his head.

“I’m surprised you don’t know how easily you are to pick up on.” I was getting annoyed, I kept trying to brush him off, it’s not like I want to have this conversation with him.

“What you trying to say?” I asked, trying to make my voice as cold as possible, failing terribly, my curiosity getting the better of me. “That I’m predictable? Because I’m not, you don’t know the first thing about me.”

He smirked slightly at that part, he had to suppress a chuckle.

“Yeah right,” he snickered “you think I don’t know the first thing about you?” He asked incredulously.

“Then tell me, smart guy,” I asked, trying to be as angry as possible. “Just how much do you know about me then? Tell me “ I asked him confidently.

I could tell that he was about to say something, he was about to give me that usual snarky back-handed compliment that he always used to give me, but he didn’t.

Instead, he looked at me for a good minute, taking in information, I could see the small smirk on his lips fade away the moment he processed something.

He sighed and looked away for a moment before speaking, there was something in his tone that was definitely different from usual.

He said, “I know more about you than you think I do.”

I sighed rolling my eyes “Can we just go back to normal—go back to hating, forget that you saw me like that or I opened up to you,” I say

“Is that really what you want?” He said, turning his head to look at me, his expression was blank.

“Yeah,” I grunted, “I don’t know why I opened up to you, it felt wrong, I shouldn’t have done that. Yeah let’s just forget about it and just hate on each other like the regular.”

“Alright,” he said after taking a deep breath in and out. “We can ignore it,” Then he sighed.

“Yeah,” I muttered, feeling relieved. And I turned around to walk away.

This is for the best. I’m not used to Malfoy being a decent human being.

𓆙

Rewritten on: 2nd April 2024