20. Nonsense

A/N THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR OVER 5K READS!!!

August's POV

Wrong choice. Nope- nuh uh. Fuck.

No getting out of this, am I? I can't believe I told Lena I wanted to go to the café with her. 

I see Natasha's eyebrows rise as I walk through the door right after her sister. She goes to the side of her leg, ready to pull out a gun before Yelena holds out her hand, telling her no.

Natasha gets up, grabbing her purse as she does so, moving to a four person table. We follow suit, though I try and hide behind the second assassin.

"лжец." Black Widow says as she scoots herself into the table. 

"You deserved it." Yelena mumbles, rolling her eyes. She sits next to Natasha as I sit across from her. I try to make myself look smaller as the redhead narrows her eyes into mine, but I look at her for only a second before I look away. Something is wrong with me, I'm not usually like this. But yet again, what she said hurt. 

She pretends like she knows me, and I'm sure to some extent she does, but that doesn't give her the right to act like she knows all of me. 

"...You just had a panic attack because I called you something you didn't like.

"...Maybe we can cooperate and figure out something better for you, but I don't know 'cause all you seem to want to do is an interrogation when you're thinking about something I know you wish you could block out. And guess what, I know it's either a flashback of torture or remembering dead ones at your hand or the ones you lost."

"Hi." I say sheepishly, waving shyly. This is not who I am. This is not who I am. This is not who I am.

"Hi," she responds slowly, side-eying her sister before bringing her attention back to me. "Are you here to turn yourself in?'

That flushes whatever I thought of saying right down the toilet. Did Yelena trick me? Was this her plan? 

Before I can say anything, she (meaning Yelena) talks for me. She's going to say something bad. What do I do?

"No, Nat. She wants to talk it out. She has some questions."

Okay, phew. One disastrous anxiety attack averted.

Yelena looks at me and I nod. As Natasha quirks an eyebrow in my direction, I sigh. But then yet again, I can't find the ability to speak.

"It's alright, Auggie. Take your time." Lena gives me a comforting smile... but it does nothing to ease my nerves.

Natasha keeps her stoic face like always. "August, what are these questions?"

"I- Ms Romanoff-" I quietly mumble before she interrupts me.

"Since when is it Ms Romanoff?" 

An "um..." stutters out of me.

Yelena slaps her arm, and grumbles out, "Natasha, ease off her." 

She just looks at me, and I sigh.

"Did you... did you have a choice?" I ask.

"What?"

"Did you have a choice in- um, going after me on your mission. When you killed my family."

"Oh god, not this." She pinches the bridge of her nose as she leans her head back. But that's not what irritates me most, it's her uninterested behavior that sets me off like the speed of light. This is my family we're talking about, show some respect.