Chapter 9 The Possession Effect

When Cystal Lorraine awoke, she was quite surprised as she took in her surroundings. Her house had been reduced to nothing but ashes, yet there was water everywhere, it drenched the wooden floor boards, her pajamas, and even a strange young man lying unconscious several yards away.

"A-Aquarius..." she called out to her God as she got up onto her feet.

What is it child?

"Is that the demigod you told me about before- before that?..."

Yes, he most certainly has the God of Fire harboring himself within him...

"I see..." she says looking around her at what used to be her home. All her possessions, her memories of that place, her one place of escape from the outside world, it had all gone up in flames. Yet Crystal felt no anger nor resentment towards this misguided young man who had just destroyed everything she knew. She couldn't think about revenge just yet, all she wanted to do was lie down and cry, yet the emptiness she felt inside couldn't even bring her to do that.

Crystal! Crystal! Aquarius shouted as her host's mind began to drift. Kill him! Now! Quickly, before he wakes up!

"Aquarius? What did you do to me? I feel so... Empty..."

There was silence in Cystal Lorraine Rose's head for a moment before Aquarius decided to tell her what had just transpired.

I used something called the Possession Effect to temporarily take over your entire physical being. It allows a demigod to utilize the full potential of a God's powers, but only for a maximum of about 60 seconds or so. Don't worry though, I can't take control of your body without your consent, and this technique can't be used more than once every 24 hours. There's your explanation, now kill him and shorten the amount of competition in this tournament for me!

"Aquarius... No. I can't..." Cystal said solemnly, struggling to stand now.

No?!? What in Tartarus do you mean no?!? Aquarius spat.

"I will not kill him. He's harmless enough as it is now. Besides, I'm sure the police will be here soon enough to arrest him for arson and attempted murder..."

But the competition cannot progress unless he's dead!

"I don't care. I'm not about to soil myself as a human being just to help your sick little competition progress."

This is for the fate of the universe!

"Aquarius, if they lock him up, he won't be able to move at all, and someone will come around looking to kill him eventually and he won't be able to escape. So in a way, I'm actually indirectly killing him by letting the Police take him into custody."

You fool! What if he escapes?!? This is our one chance to kill him! Do not defy me! I am your God!

"And I am your vessel!" Cystal snapped defensively "You listen to me just as much as I listen to you as long as you're in there! Got it?!?"

...My my... What fury. You would make an excellent Goddess...

"Thanks. But as of right now, I'm more concerned about whether this guy is going to stay unconscious long enough for the Police to arrive..."

Suddenly, as of on cue, the young man sprang upwards to life, an expression of extreme rage and vengeance on his face. "Don't bet on it!" he shouted at her, creating a small fireball in the palm of his hand.