Chapter 23

"Nandini," Nandini who was busy in the kitchen turned around on hearing him call out her name.

"Ji?" Nandini enquired, surprised at finding her brother in law. Smiling, he said, "Woh pani milega?"

Nandini nodded. As she was grabbing the glass, she felt his gaze wandering over her, but she thought it to be her mistake and ignored her intuition. As she held the glass for him, her hand went to her five month bulging stomach protectively as he stared at it, making him snap out of his daze.

Nandini immediately pulled her hand away uncomfortably as she felt their fingers brushing as he took the glass from her. Carefully taking the glass back, ensuring they weren't touching, when she was about to turn around, he again called her name, stopping her movement.

"Nandini Bhabhi," Nandini said, making him frown in confusion before his jaw clenched as she explained, "Mujhe Nandini Bhabhi bulaye. Inhe acha nahi lagega."

When he didn't speak up, Nandini asked, "Aapko kuch chahiye tha?"

Aashish shook his head, turning around. But, before he could step out, he looked over his shoulder at her and asked, "Aur tumhe kaisa lagega?"

Nandini frowned at his question, not understanding the hidden meaning behind his words, but replied with confusion, "Khud ki izzat kise achi nahi lagti?"
He nodded his head, faking a smile while his teeth gritted together as he felt his patience dwindling day by day since she announced pregnancy two months back.

•••••

While Nandini was sitting on the bed, ruffling Mahir's hair while her other hand was gently rubbing her belly. Mahir, who was sitting beside her, stared at her stomach. When they had explained to him about her pregnancy, they were surprised when he didn't react at all. Nandini felt he was sad, but didn't know why.

"Mumma," Mahir suddenly called out. She looked towards him and was shocked when he started crying. She pulled him towards her, carefully placing him on her lap and rubbed his back while she asked in concern, "Kya hua, mere bache?"

He rested his head against her bosom and hiccuped while crying out, "Mumma naya bacha ni chahiye!" Nandini froze for a minute, not understanding until his hold on her tightened as he cried, "Meri mumma ho!"

"Oh, mera bacha," Nandini softly said, holding Mahir closer to her, understanding that he was getting insecure about the new baby. Pressing a kiss on his head, she tried to explain, not really knowing what to say, "Iske baad bhi aapki hi mumma hu. Apko main utna hi pyaar krungi jitna iske hone se pehle tha aur woh kabhi nahi badlega. Aur aapko pata hai, ye chota sa baby saara waqt aapke saath ghumega aur aapke saath khelega bhi toh. Aapko ek naya ya nayi dost milege na."

Mahir nodded, trying to understand but still somewhat sad that he will have to share his mother. Nandini sighed when he quietly got off her lap, laying on the bed.

•••••

As Manik was walking towards their room, he watched as Nandini provided his mother with the glass of water for her medicines before he watched in amusement as she asked Mahir, "Aaj Mumma paas souge?"

"Nahi," Mahir replied, turning away from her, as if he was angry at her. As Nandini came to their room and laid beside him after latching the door, he joked, "Esa kya kar diya tune joh Mahir tere se gussa hogaya?"

Nandini looked at him, sad as she told him, "Iss bache ke karan usse lagta hain main usse pyaar nahi karungi."

"Toh tu nahi karegi?" Manik asked and Nandini glared at him for asking her such a stupid question but still shook her head.