CHAPTER 34: UNPREDICTABLE DESTINY

Jasper's POV

Working is something that I was not ever used to growing up because my brother wouldn't let me work before. This is why this week working at the pharmacy seemed so exhausting and stressful for me more especially balancing with school stuffs at the same time. It was a very busy and tiring week to the point that I didn't able to go to a bar which I had promised to pamper myself.

There are still other times. I thought to myself and shifted to the other side of the bed.

Nevertheless, I am a kind of person who likes working under pressure and someway, somehow, I am adjusting to the new environment. Miss Zabeth, Miss Marian and Miss Norma are there always to help me with everything I need to know and I am gradually learning the things that I have to do especially with facing, entertaining and serving different types of customers.

Sometimes, I feel like I am going to cry serving some cranky and hot-headed old people especially when I committed minimal errors to them. I understand why knowing most of these people buy antihypertensive medications.

Ma'am Ann on the other hand is very welcoming and very approachable. I don't see her from time to time because she's always in the patient counseling area, but I like her for being so good to me. Although, I get shy of her sometimes because of her kind treatment to me that made me somehow think of my mother.

I've been spending my days in the staff room and I was so glad because Ma'am Ann let me sleep here with no questions and conditions. "It's a staff room and you are my staff," she stated a fact which regardless, I am still a new employee.

I have shared to her my situation about the distance from our house to the pharmacy and she doesn't have any problem at all with me sleeping in the staff room. "Are you okay sleeping in the staff room?" she even asked it herself. "We have a lot of spare rooms in our house if you want to,"

I shook my head as I respectfully declined, "Thank you so much for the offer and to your kindness Ma'am Ann, but I am very okay already in here," I slightly bowed and smiled at her reassuringly; still a bit shy because of her hospitality.

"Is that so? My cousin Norma would sleep here not so often and the two aides have family so they need to go home, so are you just okay being left here alone most of the days?" she asked in a concern tone, but more of like she really wants to bring me to their house.

Since the pharmacy is not open for 24 hours and we are only open up to 12 midnight, I didn't expect her to worry about me that much. I told her again that I am going to be okay and I was very grateful of her kindness, hospitality and her trust in me even if she barely even knows me yet. "If that's what you really want, then fine. Anyway, you should also not worry because my son sleeps here as well if he feels it,"

What Ma'am Ann had said about her son the other days is always running through my head. Tomorrow marks my first full week working here but I have never seen her son yet. She said twice that she's going to introduce me to her son who's around my age but I feel like there's something different going on in this family. I didn't see the husband of Ma'am Ann either visiting the pharmacy.

I shove my meddling thoughts away and shifted back to my position earlier. I could not sleep. It's already more than two hours since we closed the pharmacy, but I just couldn't sleep - it's almost three in the morning now. Thankfully, today is Sunday so we have no work. I was planning to go home before sunrise to do laundry and get some things. I was also concerned about my brother because I didn't get any texts from him this week even if I always sent him messages and even tried to call him many times, but he didn't answer or respond.

It's also been almost a week since my brother and Jude didn't go to school. I started to get worried about the two.

I got off from the bed before I lost my mind from overthinking and went to the refrigerator to grab a bottle of water. I didn't bother to turn the lights on because the square rays of the full moon penetrating through the open-curtained huge glass window is already very enough to light up a big part of the room.

After grabbing a bottle of water, I went to the window and leaned my side at the concrete wall frame as I chugged an amount of water. I looked at the moon shining so bright in the middle of the tranquility at dawn. It's so bright to the point that you can barely see the surrounding stars. The sky is so beautiful, but I was slightly shocked at the bat that just flew by in a haste not so far in front of me.

I touched my chest to calm myself down and looked at the moon again. It's past midnight and it somehow scared the hell out of me. I caught my breath even more when I heard a crackling noise coming from somewhere. As I tried to locate the sound, I found out that it's coming from the drugstore. I jumped off slightly as fear suddenly arouse in me when there are shattering sound of bottles which I was certain of that those were bottle of syrups.

Tiptoeing silently with barefoot, I approached the door with courage. I attached my right ear against the door to really hear the sound, but my heart leaped drastically when I hear staggering footsteps coming louder closer to my direction. I caught my breath and rushed to the bottom bed of the double deck and completely hid myself under the dirty white blanket. My heart almost jumped out of my chest when the knob was twisted as the door opened. I covered my mouth using my hands as sweat started to excrete out my pores.

"Ahh, fuckking bullshit!" A drunk man's voice filled the room. He mumbled words indistinctly, but the familiarity of his voice intrigued me.

No, never in a million. It's impossible. I thought to myself. "Damn it! I-m haaving a baad dayy!" he groggily complained.

"Fuck!" he cursed again as he unsteadily moved his pace against the white marbles to somewhere I wish not here in the bed I am currently on. "Fuuuuck thisss fuucking bullshit,"

The amount of edginess and fear I felt under the blanket was so much to bear to the point that I suppressed my breathing. I was too wary to not even make a sound or to even move an ounce. "I'm f-uckin' strrooong. No one cannn beeeat the hell out ooof me. I-m not druuunk..." he cursed groggily, but I feel like I've already heard his voice somehow before. "Ayye...Aym a d-octor. I'm a fuuckinnng doctor. The first aid kit is suppooosed t-

I almost died when I heard a glass shattered somewhere on the floor and before I knew it, someone's falling off. "Ahh, fuck!" he cursed again.

I tightened my hands that were covering my mouth to refrain from erupting a sound. My heartbeats skyrocketed so badly. I don't know what to do, but one thing is for sure. This person is definitely hurt.

...I still didn't move until the noise subsided for about fifteen minutes or so. Sweat was dripping excessively from my body, soaking my clothes and the mattress.

When I feel like everything's under control, I slowly uncovered the blanket off just under my eyes and peeked cautiously on the surrounding. Once everything is clear, I slowly uncovered my face off wholly. I feel like my heart wants to jump out of my chest when I saw a body lying on the floor. I covered my mouth using my hands and stared at the body for probably five minutes. He doesn't move and he seemed already fell asleep. I couldn't vividly see his face because he's face was on the side of the mini table and the shadow reflected from it blocked his upper body.

I walked scrupulously to the far edge side and located the switch so I can see who he is or if he's really fine. I also made sure to put quite distance from him because he might be playing in disguise or what if he suddenly grabs me if I go near.

To be safe, I picked up the wide broom to defend myself just in case if this person right here would try anything to attack me.

Although, I hinted that this might be ma'am Ann's son knowing what Ma'am Ann had told me the other day about her son sleeping here, or it might be her husband. I have this guess also because I made sure that I locked the door which only those who have keys can enter. Well, thieves can break doors too without keys.

Right! It should be Ma'am Ann's husband because he mentioned that he's a doctor awhile ago before he passed out. It's definitely not Ma'am Ann's son as well because he's around my age and she mentioned he is also still in school. It wouldn't be Miss Norma certainly either since it's a male's voice. But his voice is kinda young! I was confused.

Nevertheless, I somehow get worried because he's drunk for sure and based on the groans and curses he expressed, he's certainly hurt. Not to mention those shattered syrups as well that he might have stepped on.

Reluctantly, I turned the switch on and what I saw had turned my world upside down.