Chapter 1: Peaceful Morning

CHAPTER 1: DAY 1

Awakening to the familiar routine of another school day, I reluctantly shook off the remnants of sleep and prepared myself for the day ahead. My name is Mico, a high-school student, and I found myself dwelling alone in the confines of our small village. The dissolution of my parents' marriage had left me under the care of my now-deceased grandparents, and the weight of their recent departure still bore heavily upon my heart. Nevertheless, life demanded that I find the strength to carry on.

Engaging in the customary morning rituals of brushing my teeth and packing my lunch, I readied myself for the journey to school. However, as I ventured outside, a peculiar sense of unease gripped me. The once-bustling streets lay devoid of any signs of life, casting an eerie pall over the village. Was it merely the early hour, or was something amiss?

Shrugging off the disconcerting notion, I continued my trek toward the school, a mere stone's throw away. Yet, mile after mile, not a soul crossed my path. Consulting my phone, I confirmed that it was already 7 a.m., and the absence of human presence perplexed me further. Oddly enough, the internet proved to be a source of enlightenment amidst the desolation.

Thousands of videos and images flooded the online realm, showcasing grotesque scenes of human horror that seemed ripped from the pages of fiction. People were depicted in an unthinkable frenzy, consuming one another in a grotesque display of carnage. Could this be some macabre prank? My disbelief dissolved as I encountered corroborating news reports, confirming the unimaginable events unfolding before my eyes.

Arriving at school, my attention was drawn to a disheveled girl standing nearby. Her appearance, tainted by dirt and weariness, belied her mature countenance. Concerned, I approached her at the entrance, hoping to offer assistance. Yet, her response was neither comforting nor comprehensible.

Silent and resolute, she continued to scan her surroundings as if searching for something elusive. Perplexed, I persisted in my attempts to reach out, inquiring about her well-being. A flicker of agitation flashed across her features as she regarded me with a mix of bewilderment and scorn.

"Umm... Ma'am, is everything alright?" I ventured cautiously.

"Why... are you so composed amidst this chaos?" Her voice quivered with anger and disbelief, momentarily halting her restless exploration.

Confusion marred my expression as I sought to understand her accusatory tone. "What do you mean? Have I done something wrong?"

"Have you not realized?" Her words hung in the air, weighted with the gravity of a devastating truth. "Countless lives have been extinguished! Why are you dressed for school? Are you relishing the horrors befalling our world?"

Stunned by her accusations, I struggled to process the enormity of her claims. "Have I missed something? You're talking about the absence of people, right? Is there some kind of gathering or event I'm unaware of?"

With a hollow laugh that resonated with the haunting echoes of despair, she tossed a phone my way. I instinctively caught it, glancing at the screen to find myself confronted by a news bulletin — an official government announcement featuring the President himself.

"Attention! This is not a drill nor a prank! A malevolent force has emerged, consuming everything in its path. The military is mobilizing, urging citizens to remain indoors at all costs. I repeat, do not leave your homes! We will provide updates as soon as possible."

The weight of the situation crashed down upon me, threatening to engulf me in a wave of disbelief. Could this be real?

Meeting my gaze with a solemn nod, the girl affirmed the authenticity of the message. The gravity of the situation was undeniable.

"What do we do now? Surely, the government has established safe havens or contingency plans," I implored, searching for a glimmer of hope.

"There is a government-designated safe base, and that's where I'm headed," she replied, her voice tinged with a mixture of determination and weariness.

"May I... accompany you? I am utterly in the dark about all this, and I find myself alone. I promise not to burden you," I pleaded, hoping for a lifeline amidst the chaos.

Contemplating my request, she paused, her gaze softening. *sighed* "Very well, perhaps an extra set of hands will prove useful. But know this, the path ahead is treacherous, and our survival is far from assured."

"Thank you for providing me with a kind heart into you"