Chapter 6: Sanctuary

Chapter 6: Day 3

We carefully packed the discovered supplies, grateful for the unexpected abundance. The food and water we had gathered would sustain us for weeks, alleviating our immediate worries. As for our newfound arsenal, Amy had acquired a rifle from one of the fallen soldiers while I clutched the pistol I had taken the day before. The weight of the weapon in my hand served as a reminder of the dangers that lurked in this unforgiving world.

"Is that the pistol you took from the soldier yesterday?" Amy inquired, her eyes focused on the firearm.

I hesitated for a moment, unsure of her intentions. However, her smile put my fears to rest. "Yeah," I replied, cautiously handing her the pistol.

To my surprise, she pulled out a silencer and placed it in my outstretched palm. "Here," she offered. "Use it. I already have one on my rifle. It'll help us reduce the noise while using our firearms, making it less likely that we'll attract unwanted attention."

Gratitude washed over me as I examined the silencer. It was a small but significant gesture, one that highlighted Amy's consideration for our safety. I affixed the silencer to my pistol, securing it firmly in place. The addition gave me a sense of reassurance, knowing that we could protect ourselves without unnecessarily drawing the attention of others.

"Thank you," I said sincerely, meeting her gaze. "This will definitely come in handy."

Amy nodded, a determined look in her eyes. "We need to be smart about how we navigate through this chaos. Every precaution counts."

With our supplies secured and our weapons armed, we set out in search of a safe haven. Our aim was not only to find shelter for the approaching night but to discover a place where we could establish a more enduring refuge. Step by step, we treaded through the remnants of a world turned upside down, our eyes scanning the surroundings for any sign of danger or sanctuary.

As we travel our way, we then get into a road, There's nothing there but leaves and the road itself.

The road was eerily quiet, punctuated only by the occasional gusts of wind and distant echoes of chaos. We moved cautiously, our footsteps muffled by debris, alert to any sound or movement that might indicate the presence of others.

As we traveled for hours, the road stretched ahead, a desolate path through a world turned upside down. Each step we took echoed in the silence, broken only by the occasional gusts of wind that whispered through the remnants of civilization. We moved with caution, mindful of the potential dangers that lay hidden amidst the debris and shadows.

As the hours ticked by and the sun began its descent, we found ourselves at a loss, seemingly wandering aimlessly. We halted to rest and replenish our strength, huddled together as we ate our meager lunch. It was during this brief respite that we knew we had to devise a plan—a course of action to guide us in this uncertain landscape.

Amy took charge, placing a map on the ground before me. "We're here," she pointed out, her finger tracing our current location. "We have nowhere to go. Our best bet is to find a place isolated from civilization. A farm would be ideal, far away from the city. But that seems like wishful thinking. We lack any means of transportation, and the nearest town is 30 miles away. We won't reach it before nightfall. We need to find shelter quickly."

I mulled over the options, the weight of the situation pressing upon me. "There might be a solution," I suggested. "In the forest, we might come across a shelter."

"A shelter is there a shelter in the forest??" Amy questioned, curiosity flickering in her eyes.

I nodded, explaining further. "There might be a cabin nearby that we don't know, I may not be sure and It's not ideal, and it carries risks, but given our circumstances, it might be our only choice."

Amy considered my words for a moment, her gaze scanning the surroundings. "You're right," she finally agreed, determination etched on her face. "We don't have any other options. Let's do it."

And so, with a shared resolve, we veered off the road and ventured into the forest. The dense foliage enveloped us, casting elongated shadows as the daylight waned. We moved deeper into the wilderness, searching for a suitable spot to find our temporary refuge.

The forest enveloped us in its mysterious embrace, whispering its secrets as we pressed on. The rustling leaves and the melodious chorus of birds served as our guide, leading us deeper into the wilderness. Hours passed, and the light of day began to wane, casting long shadows upon our weary figures. Doubt began to creep into my thoughts, questioning the wisdom of my suggestion. Would we find shelter in time, or had I led us astray?

As the encroaching darkness painted the sky, a heavy weight settled upon my shoulders. Discouragement gnawed at my resolve, and the flame of hope flickered dimly within me. I cast a glance at Amy, her face mirroring my own concerns. Guilt washed over me, consuming my thoughts. Had my decision endangered her life? Had I led us both to our demise?

In that moment of despair, I was about to cry, then Amy shouted, "Look!"  Startled, I turned to face Amy, confusion etched on my face. Her eyes were wide with astonishment, her finger pointing eagerly ahead. Following her gaze, I saw it—a sight that defied all expectations.

Before us stood a fence, enclosing a sprawling modern house nestled amidst the forest. Its elegant architecture glimmered in the fading light, a beacon of hope amidst the surrounding darkness. Disbelief mingled with relief as we realized the fortune that had befallen us.

Hope surged within me once again, shattering the despair that had threatened to consume my soul. We quickened our pace, propelled by the newfound possibility of shelter and safety. As we approached the house, its grandeur became more apparent, contrasting starkly with the desolation that had defined our journey thus far.

With each step closer to the house, anticipation grew, mingled with a sense of awe. Could this be our sanctuary, our refuge in the storm? The creak of the front gate seemed to echo with promise as we entered the property. The path leading to the front door felt like a lifeline, guiding us toward a haven in this unforgiving world.

As we cut open the fence as the gate was locked and seems like we can't climb into it because of the spikes, these fences is an electric fences, it's not working because the electricity is cut off.

As we worked our way to the threshold, before celebrating, we cautiously get inside the house. Again, the door was locked, we can't open it by any means, and the door is sturdy but Amy didn't gave up and break the lock with her rifle, the lock was broken making our way through inside.

stepping into the warmth and shelter of the house, a surge of gratitude washed over us. The flickering hope within us had been rewarded, and we knew that we had been granted a second chance at survival. The house, with its sturdy walls and ample provisions, became a symbol of resilience and fortune in the face of adversity.

But it is not the time to lower our guards. Together, we search the house, we spend an hour searching the house as it is large.

"It looks like this house has been here for years now," Amy said

"Is it abandoned?" I asked

"I don't think so. The place itself is pretty clean, but after the search, it is clean because of a machine that is cleaning the house automatically, I think these houses are own by a company" She said with her assumptions of what we've seen so far.

"A company?" I asked

"Yes, this has been sitting here for years now, this house is beautiful and Isolated from any place, this place is rental or for sale, it's just it's so Isolated and don't even have a tourist attraction it didn't go well"

"Is that so? then... this house if all ours?" I asked

"Yes."

In that moment, doubts and fears receded into the background. We embraced the present, grateful for the unexpected turn of events. As we settled into our newfound sanctuary, a renewed sense of purpose filled our hearts. We were determined to make the most of this reprieve, to rebuild our strength and forge a path toward a brighter future.