Chapter 10: Humiliate

Chapter 10: Day 5.1

the two groups are on their way to their town, Mico is currently finding a big truck to fit their needs, while Amy is loading up tons of gasoline.

The Gonzalez family, however, is on their way to their town.

As they get out their pick-up truck, parking it in front of the supermarket, Zack whistled, "This store is ours!" He shouted, "Can you keep it down? even just for now?" Her sister scolded her.

"Stop the chit-chat, you two. Let's end this fast before nightfall," Their father said, as they scavenged their way to the supermarket, Mico is on the road on the way to the nearest supermarket in the town.

He stopped his car, noticing that a pickup truck was parked nearby, he pull out his gun and cautiously checked the surroundings. After all the surroundings were clear, he then made his way inside the supermarket.

Sneaking inside as he walked around the supermarket, he didn't see anyone. Meanwhile, the Gonzalez family continued to get what they needed.

As time ticked by, Mico came across a person. He aimed his pistol at the individual and shouted, "Hands behind your back!" The man, holding an emergency axe, lay motionless in the corner with vacant eyes.

"Hey... you alright? Did you get bitten?" I asked, concerned. He glanced at me, seemingly indifferent, and replied, "Just shoot me."

"What? Why?" I couldn't understand this bizarre request. What was driving him to such desperation?

He sighed heavily, "I have no reason to keep going. This world is pure madness. The more you survive, the more you suffer. So, what's the point of staying alive? My family, friends, even my fiancée... they all died right before my eyes." He then turned his gaze towards me.

"Hey, why are you fighting so hard to survive? Do you have a reason?" he inquired.

"Well, maybe I do, maybe I don't. But what's wrong with trying to stay alive? Even without this disaster, we all know we'll die someday, right? We'll experience both suffering and joy. There's nothing we can do about it except accept it..." I calmly responded.

"For me, life is like a game. You only get one chance. There's no going back to fix mistakes, but you can use them as stepping stones to succeed. Even if many have perished, we have to keep moving forward," I explained.

"Move on? Do you think you understand what I've been through just to survive?" he snapped, his anger directed at me. "I did everything I could to protect them! To protect what was important to me! And now, without them..." He paused, overcome with emotion. But before he could continue, I interjected.

"You're nothing without them? So, they were your only reasons to live? Is that it? And now that they're gone, you want to throw your life away?" I start to talk

"For every person I hate, you're the one I don't want to become. Those who sacrificed themselves for you—do you really want to face them in the afterlife like this? They might regret giving up their lives for someone like you. 'To think my sacrifice was in vain.' HAHAHAHA! What a joke you'd be," I scolded him sharply. Infuriated, he swung his fist and landed a punch on my face.

A heavy silence hung between us for a while. "I won't let a kid humiliate me like this. What do you know about life anyway?"  he declared, storming off to find a bottle of alcohol. He cracked it open and downed its contents in one gulp.

"Hey, what's your name?" he slurred.

"Mico," I replied, rubbing my sore cheek.

"Alex. Mind if I stick around until the bitter end? I want to witness the moment you lose everyone you love and see if you can still say the same things to me. HAHAHAHAHA! Now, that would be interesting," he said, clearly drunk.