4

Neteyam bolted upright, then immediately regretted his actions as his vision spun and his head pounded. He pressed his hand against his forehead, breathing deeply as he tries to calm himself.

He looked around, evaluating his surroundings, and relaxed a little when he found he was in his families marui.

But that didn't stop his thoughts from running wild in confusion, especially as memories of last night flooded in. It was foggy and there were still some chunks left to fill in, but it was still there nonetheless.

It all felt so surreal, just the fact that he would dare to even follow her felt like something of a lie - or perhaps a dream.

At that moment Kiri walked in, a basket Flat Skate fish sitting on her hip. She smirked slightly at Neteyam, " Well well well, look who finally decided to wake up. Lo'ak thought you were dead."

Kiri placed the basket down before handing him a cup of water, he thanked her and gulped the entire drink down before rising slowly to his feet. His movements slow and careful.

Kiri couldn't seem to wait anymore as she said,

" Mom and Dad aren't happy, especially Dad." she said, raising an eyebrow. Rolling her eyes at his disheveled  and dazed state as she sat and began to work.

He nodded, ignoring her attitude, and took a seat beside her as he helped place the fish inside the bamboo woven basket, a preparation so they can later smoke it for dinner. He answered her as they continued working,

" You wouldn't believe me if I told you what happened yesterday..." he said, surprisingly not able to hide his smile.

Kiri gave him a pointed look, " I wouldn't even believe you if you had told me you snuck off, missed dinner, and then suddenly appeared here when we woke up. It's like the island is changing you brother. Where even were you?" she asked as they finished filling one basket and went off onto the next.

He went to speak, admit everything, then suddenly his arm began to burn slightly. He glanced down and that was when the missing flashes from the night before came into place. When they were running, he got shot.

It was only a small cut, but it was bleeding and it stung despite the adrenaline that was distracting him from the pain. He went to follow her once they were safe and she hit him on the head, hard.

That explains the headache, but his rapidly beating heart was what took over any pounding in his head. He blinked once, then twice. Neteyam checked his left arm in case he was mistaken, and when he saw nothing, he checked his right again.

He felt the skin, turned his arm over and over again and yet... nothing. Not a scratch or scar in sight. No mark, bruising, or swelling. It was almost as if nothing had ever happened. But it did happen... right?

Yet Neteyam was now doubting himself. Could he have possibly dreamt everything? No, that's impossible. His sister herself is saying he missed dinner, said that his parents are upset, and that he didn't lay to rest with them but was resting when they awoke.

Vareya must've knocked him out and brought him here after, her being a warrior makes it a plausible reason. She's strong, knows stealth. Besides, they must've been close to the village from all the running, cuts, and turns they took as they made their escape.

But nothing can explain his arm. He heard the yelling, heard the whoosh as the arrows flew passed them, heard the thud of them missing and hitting bark instead. One did strike him though, on his right arm. He felt the flesh split, smelled his own blood, and remembered the grunt of pain that escaped his throat.

Another memory that he ignored came to thought, ' all in vote to see if she can heal an removed eye say srane...'

"Neteyam? Is everything okay?" Kiri asked worriedly, breaking him out of the trance he had fallen into.

" How-" he began to mumble but was interrupted when Tuk came running into the marui, Lo'ak chasing after her.

Tuk's eyes brightened at the sight of her now awake brother and she tackled him, wrapping her arms around his neck.

" Where were you last night, we were so worried. And I never have to worry about you, only Lo'ak." she said yet spoke again before he could even think of an reply,

"Mom and Dad are not happy!" she giggled as she pinched his cheek. Neteyam couldn't help but smile at his little sister, her presence immediately easing him. Not completely, but enough for now.

Lo'ak laughed himself, " Don't tell me you've become like me now brother, because I'm not changing into a boring golden child and I don't think Dad can handle two of us."

He scoffed at Lo'ak," It was one missed dinner, it won't happen again." then he pinched Tuk's cheek softly,

" And I've already heard the news of Father, I'm sure after an explanation and apology he'd forget it even happened."

Neteyam tried to assure them, yet he knew that it'd take a whole lot more than that. Jake was strict, that much all his children new.

" Well I hope you have that perfect apology memorized already, because Mom and Dad are on their way here right now." Loak smirked.

Neteyam was given the responsibility of watching over his younger siblings from a young age when his parents weren't around, and any time he disobeyed or didn't get the job done right, meant a long lecture was ahead of him.

Any other time he'd take his punishment, but right now he didn't have time for that. He needed answers from a person who'd probably wouldn't give it to him, but he had to try.

He gently carried Tuk off of him before standing, grabbing his hunting knife for security, and beginning to head out.

" Hey! Where are you going? Didn't you hear what your brother just said!? You'd be grounded for life if you leave again!" Kiri yelled after him, and when he turned around, confused and shocked faces were shared between his siblings.

All of them staring with wide eyes from disbelief.

" I know, but there's something I have to do first." He said as he took off, not wasting anymore time.

He called an ilu and took the route underwater, a better chance to avoid his parents. His Father and Mother is something he can deal with later.

Those are consequences that he is prepared to face, but where he's venturing now, he's not sure anything could prepare him for that.

*__~~__*

A/N

Hey everyone! I would like to start off by saying THANK YOU SO MUCH to all of you who decided to give this story a chance! There isn't a lot but I'm grateful for every single one of you.

Second, I'm really sorry for the short chapter but I promise it's going to start getting good the next chapters as Vareya and Neteyam will begin having more interaction! On that note, I do want to say that I have an ENTIRE story planned out. I don't want to give away too much because I don't want to spoil, but I promise I have a lot to write and won't leave y'all hanging. (( if you have any questions please comment and I will try my best to respond to all of them))

Lastly, thank you all again you have no idea how much this means as a small writer! I also have a few other stories in the works that have been in my drafts for years that I'd like to publish soon. I will be completely focused on " Ma Neteyam" though, so I'd want to get this one going a bit more before publishing other stories!

Alright, thanks for reading again and hope you enjoyed!! Stay tuned for the next chapter and follow my Tik Tok for updates and more!

- much love, _watuluv_9

VOTE, FOLLOW, AND COMMENT🫶