19

" Do it."

" I've already told you once and I'll say it again... no."

" If you don't, I'll cut your throat."

" As unpleasant as that sounds, I'm not changing my answer."

" I will do it."

" I thought we were past the death threats?"

She groaned and stomped her foot. " I don't understand why you're so afraid, I'm ordering you to do this because I believe I'm ready."

" Last time I checked, I was in charge of your training and I don't believe you're ready so drop it."

Vareya screeched in annoyance and jumped on Neteyams back. Wrapping her legs tightly around his waist, she began grabbing and pulling his cheeks while repeating the same phrase over and over hoping she'd get him to agree, " Kem si set, kem si set, kem si set!!!"

" Gah! Stop acting like a child Vareya and get off!" Neteyam hissed as he tried to pry her off of him but failed. Instead, seeing his attempts, she only squeezed her legs tighter and pulled harder on his cheeks, causing them to burn as he yelped in pain.

Several weeks have passed since Neteyam discovered the truth about Vareya, since that day in the hut that left his heart pounding after an unexpected twist in their relationship.

He understood why she lied to him, understood her secret, understood her pain of not fitting in, of not feeling at home. Neteyam certainly did have many questions left unanswered regarding the clans fear and dislike of her. Still didn't understand the reason for Vareyas burning hatred of his fathers kind.

But he had the important ones handled, and he wasn't going to push it now. They were finally in a good spot. After that day, they've been seeing each other more often.

Of course Vareyas attitude and mockery hasn't ended, but it's changed. It's no longer laced with venom, it was now laced with something playful. Each threat was followed by a poke, pinch, tug, or punch.

Indeed an improvement from the knife, axe, and arrow Neteyam thought.

Each training session with her was still extremely tough, but although he hates to admit it, he has everything down pact now. He's learned how to hunt, learned how to fight and survive in the most threatening situations, and is now an efficient rider on his Ilu.

Vareya on the other hand, despite her being an equally fast learner, understandably, the human ways are much more difficult to learn than she must have anticipated. They are all unnatural to her, all new and different and 'weird' as she likes to say.

While it's unlikely she'll face someone who fights how Neteyam does, they've both set out a goal for her to be able to win or at least defend herself well if the situation was to ever appear.

The problem is, when they spar, she tends to forget the small, yet important, moves and details. She is fast but predictable, agile yet unbalanced on her feet when she needs to duck and twist, and she also seemed to have no understanding of her bodies limit.

Because every time they go into extensive training, she's always the first to get sloppy and breathe heavily. And he knows she does her best not to show it, but there's no hiding the decay of power and strength to her hits.

Yet there was no way she would ever admit or confess to that. She was way too stubborn. Instead she's always asking for more and insisting she can continue on.

Thanks to them opening up to each other, Neteyam has learned and seen new aspects to Vareyas true personality.

Each week he's discovering that she's truly not what her cousins put her out to be that day on the beach, which felt like decades ago by this point.