8

The next days were an absolute drag for Neteyam.

For the last three days, he's done what he said he would do. After the recent 'outburst' between the two of them, Neteyam decided to give Vareya and him a few days apart so she could cool down.

Also so he doesn't get in worse trouble than he already is in with his Father.

Luckily, it hadn't taken him a long time to find that path back to the clan, but it still cost him some time without Vareya leading him the way.

He decided that he'd have to come up with some kind of excuse for leaving so early in the morning. So he borrowed a speargun from a younger Metkayina boy, trading it for the flower he had in his hand because he wanted to give it to his mother.

Neteyam was hesitant to see it leave with someone else, but it was just a flower, it was never his to keep anyways. With the speargun in hand, he went out to bring a few fish back to his family.

Only he didn't realize that he truly did need much more, and better, training than he was receiving because his fish calling wasn't working. Leaving him out there forever before managing to get two fish only, and having to resort with that.

Nevertheless, his father was still upset and his Mother worried at the bruise on his face and cuts on his arm. Again, he was able to blame it on the hunting, getting off by telling them there was a tough current and he was pushed into coral.

He didn't miss the close eye his Father was keeping on him though, and he was slightly glad he didn't have plans to see Vareya because he would have never made it.

It also felt odd to be the one under Jakes bad eye instead of Lo'ak, but he supposed he'd have to get used to it if he planned on having Vareya forgive him and they continue, or properly begin, their partnership.

When he attended the lessons with his siblings, nothing had changed there either. Tsireya was gentle and patient, a little too patient.

Taking her time with each and every one of them, especially Lo'ak. Who kept messing up the most whenever Tsireya touched him.

Aonung hadn't changed either, the laughing and name calling the only thing on his mind rather than helping Neteyam learn. He supposed Roxto was cool, but even he could see the distracted glances he kept passing to Kiri.

These were the times Neteyam felt longing in his chest. He knew the reason why, but he couldn't understand it.

Neteyam truly knew nothing about Vareya, they've only interacted thrice and half the time she was threatening him or they were screaming at each other fighting.

Still, he missed it. It felt wrong being here instead of seeking her out. Besides, he still needed answers to many questions, one in particular more necessary than any other.

A gush of wind refreshed Neteyam as he sat right outside his Marui, taking a rest as his Mother and Kiri were inside preparing dinner.

With a exhale through his nose, he removed the hunting knife from where it was protected, covered, and hidden on his waist as he began to examine it properly.

It was Vareya's knife, the one she had thrown and left behind three days ago. He's coming to learn that her anger clouds her mind rather quickly, making her unable to rationalize and become blinded by rage.

Which made her run out of there, leaving behind her weapon.

Neteyam hasn't taken it off of him since. He sleeps with it, hunts with it, trains with it. It's his most prized possession that doesn't even belong to him, but right now he's responsible for it.