𝐼𝐼. 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝑀𝒶𝓃𝓉𝒾𝒸𝑜𝓇𝑒... 𝒴𝒶𝓎

𝓦𝓱𝓮𝓷 they got outside, they followed the footprints in the snowy ground, following a dimly lit path. After a moment of tense silence, the woods opened up into a clearing.

Thalia quickly whispered orders, telling Annabeth to get them away from Dr. Thorn with her invisibility cap, while Thalia, Grover, and Zoe attacked from behind.

When the trio got the signal, which was Annabeth plowing into the Di Angelo kids and Percy, they prepared to charge. For a split second, Dr. Thorn was taken by surprise, so his first volley of missiles zipped harmlessly over Percy, Annabeth, Nico, and Bianca's heads. This gave Thalia, Grover, and Zoe a chance to advance from behind—Thalia wielding her magic shield, Aegis.

If you've never seen Thalia run into battle, you have never been truly frightened. She uses a huge spear that expands from this collapsible Mace canister she carries in her pocket, but that's not the scary part. Her shield is modeled after one her dad Zeus uses—also called Aegis—a gift from Athena. The shield has the head of the gorgon Medusa molded into the bronze, and even though it won't turn you to stone, it's so horrible, most people will panic and run at the sight of it.

Even Dr. Thorn winced and growled when he saw it.

Thalia moved in with her spear as Zoe advanced with her sword. "For Zeus!" The blue eyed girl shouted as the brown eyed girl yelled, "For Aphrodite, you bitch!"

Thalia jabbed at his head and Zoe swung at his chest, but he snarled and swatted the weapons aside. His hand changed into an orange paw, with enormous claws that sparked against Thalia's shield as he slashed. If it hadn't been for Aegis, Thalia would've been sliced like a loaf of bread. As it was, she managed to roll backward and land on her feet. Zoe had just barely managed to jump out of the way, rolling into a kneel.

The sound of the helicopter was getting louder but Zoe didn't dare take her eyes off Dr. Thorn.

Dr. Thorn launched another volley of missiles at Thalia and Zoe with his tail—a leathery, scorpion-like tail that bristled with spikes at the tip. The daughter of Zeus used Aegis to protect herself and the daughter of Aphrodite. The missiles deflected off Aegis, but the force of their impact knocked the duo down.

Grover sprang forward. He put his reed pipes to his lips and began to play—a frantic jig that sounded like something pirates would dance to. Grass broke through the snow. Within seconds, rope-thick weeds were wrapping around Dr. Thorn's legs, entangling him.

Dr. Thorn roared and began to change. He grew larger until he was in his true form—his face still human, but his body that of a huge lion. His leathery, spiky tail whipped deadly thorns in all directions.

"A manticore!" Annabeth said, now visible. Her magical New York Yankees cap had come off when she'd plowed into Percy and co.

"Who are you people?" Bianca Di Angelo demanded. "And what is that?"

"A manticore?" Nico gasped. "He's got three thousand attack power and plus five to saving throws!"

Zoe recognized Nico's excited ramble but couldn't figure out why. It didn't matter though, because moments later, the manticore clawed Grover's magic weeds to shreds then turned toward the four demigods.

"Get down!" Annabeth pushed the Di Angelos flat into the snow. At the last second, Percy hit his wristwatch, and metal plating spiraled out into a thick bronze shield. Not a moment too soon. The thorns impacted against it with such force they dented the metal. The shield was badly damaged. Zoe didn't know if it would even stop a second volley.

Zoe heard a thwack and a yelp as Dr. Thorn slammed his tail into Grover, and he landed next to Percy with a thud.

"Yield!" the monster roared.