𝒳𝐼𝒱. 𝒵𝑜𝑒 𝒲𝒶𝓃𝓉𝓈 𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝒟𝒶𝓂 𝐹𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓈

𝓐𝓽 the edge of the dump, they found a tow truck so old it might've been thrown away itself. But the engine started, and it had a full tank of gas, so they decided to borrow it.

Zoe drove. It gave her something to focus on other than the stifling emotions she could barely tune out.

"The skeletons are still out there," Thalia reminded them as they all piled into the truck. "We need to keep moving."

The daughter of Aphrodite navigated them through the desert, under clear blue skies, the sand so bright it hurt to look at. Nightshade sat up front with Zoe and Thalia. Grover and Percy sat in the pickup bed with all the bags, leaning against the tow winch. The air was cool and dry, but the nice weather just seemed like an insult after losing Bianca.

Zoe had the window open and had blocked out everything except the road ahead of them. She had a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel, red and pink sparks of energy snapping around her hands as she drove. She ignored it.

Thalia and Nightshade spoke in whispers, leaving Zoe in her own world as they continued on their lone stretch of road.

The tow truck ran out of gas at the edge of a river canyon. That was just as well, because the road dead-ended.

Zoe got out and closed the door as quietly as she could, while Thalia slammed hers shut as soon as Nightshade was out. Immediately, one of the tires blew.

"Great," the daughter of Zeus grumbled. "What now?"

Zoe scanned the horizon. There wasn't much to see. Desert in all directions, occasional clumps of barren mountains plopped here and there. The canyon was the only thing interesting. The river itself wasn't very big, maybe fifty yards across, green water with a few rapids, but it carved a huge scar out of the desert. The rock cliffs dropped away below them.

"There's a path," Grover said. "We could get to the river."

Zoe tried to see what he was talking about, and finally noticed a tiny ledge winding down the cliff face.

"That's a goat path," Percy said.

"So?" the satyr asked.

"The rest of us aren't goats."

"We can make it," Grover said. "I think."

Zoe thought about that. She'd done cliffs before, but she absolutely hated them. Then she shared a look with Percy and glanced over at Thalia. They noticed how pale she'd gotten. Her problem with heights... she'd never be able to do it.

"No," Zoe said. "I, uh, I think we should go farther upstream."

Grover said, "But—"

"Come on," Percy said. "A walk won't hurt us."

The two glanced at Thalia. Her eyes said a quick Thank you.

They collected their stuff, then followed the river about half a mile before coming to an easier slope that led down to the water. On the shore was a canoe rental operation that was closed for the season, but Percy left a stack of golden drachmas on the counter and a note saying IOU two canoes.

"We need to go upstream," Nightshade said. Her voice was raw and scratchy, and Zoe could hear the tears she was holding back. "The rapids are too swift."

"Leave that to me," Percy said. They put the canoes in the water.

Thalia pulled Percy and Zoe aside as they were getting the oars. "Thanks for back there."

"Don't mention it," Percy said as Zoe nodded, attempting to smile at the daughter of Zeus. Noticing the two wanted to talk, the brunette headed back towards the satyr and hunter near the water.