Chapter 1: The Reveal

Rosita, the daughter of Eric Lamonsoff, sat in a comfortable beach chair in their spacious backyard, immersed in a captivating novel. She was utterly engrossed in the world of the book, her eyes dancing over the pages as her heart raced with suspense.

In the distance, Sally, Rosita's stepmom, strolled across the lawn. She had just answered a telephone call and was now determined to hand off the phone to her husband. Clutched tightly between her fingers was the receiver for their outdated landline.

Eric lounged by the side of their large above-ground pool, chatting jovially with his two younger children, Bean and Donna. Bean and Donna were born to Sally and Eric during their blissful union, but Rosita remained as Eric's sole child with his late wife, Rose.

As Sally approached her husband with urgency in her step, she called out to him. "Eric! It's for you!" He stood up immediately as she held out the phone toward him. His eyes widened with curiosity over who could possibly be calling at this time.

In his eagerness to grab the phone from Sally's hand, Eric clumsily collided into the edge of the pool. The force of his impact caused a gaping tear in its side, unleashing a torrent of water that rapidly began draining from it.

Rosita gasped in shock as she looked up from her book just in time to see Bean and Donna get caught in a whirlpool-like suction created by vanishing water. As they tumbled out onto the grass like a couple of sopping-wet ragdolls, their moment shook everyone back into reality.

Sensing an impending catastrophe within their family dynamic amidst this chaos, Rosita looked worriedly towards Eric and Sally before checking on her half-siblings sprawled across their drenched backyard. The scene unfolding before them was set to leave an indelible mark on the family's memories, for better or for worse.

Eric grabbed the phone from his wife, Sally, as the serious tone in the caller's voice had instantly captured his attention. He felt a sudden urge to take this conversation away from his family. With a quick nod to Sally, his expression grave, he swiftly stepped into another room and closed the door behind him.

"Hello," Eric managed with a shaky voice. The news that followed seemed to blur into one achingly soul-crushing moment; Eric's heart felt heavy as he learned that his old coach had tragically passed away. The man's death came as a shock; Coach Buzzer was someone whom Eric had grown close to over the years, and losing him was akin to losing another part of himself.

Struggling to find his voice, he barely whispered a choked "Thank you for informing me," before hanging up the phone. Swallowing hard against the sudden onslaught of tears pricking at his eyes, he tried to gather himself before facing his family.

As he emerged from the room, Rosita, caught sight of her father's tear-streaked face. Her heart sank as she immediately knew that something terrible had happened. Without hesitation, she crossed the room and enveloped her father in a tight hug which he gratefully reciprocated.

Sally followed shortly after and, noticing her husband and stepdaughter locked in an embrace, she hurriedly joined them. No words were exchanged at that moment; their shared grief needed no explanation. Together they comforted each other as much as any family could amidst such unforeseen pain.

Once the initial shock had worn off, preparations for attending Coach Buzzer's funeral quickly began. In only a few days they would need to travel to the lake house- a place where they could reunite with friends and former teammates amidst their grief.

As they packed up the car with clothes for the weekend, Rosita retrieved a framed photo of her mother Rose and tenderly ran her fingers over the glass. A sad smile graced her face; she knew that somehow her mother would always be with them.

At the funeral

The sun hid behind a bleak veil of clouds as Eric pulled the white Cadillac gently to a stop. He glanced over at Sally, who was dressed in light clothes and solemnly clutching an invitation to the funeral. Donna and Bean, sat quietly in the backseat. Rosita, Sally's twelve-year-old stepdaughter, was nestled in the large, comforting embrace of Curly, her faithful dog.

Eric gave his family a reassuring smile as he exited the car and opened the door for them. One by one, they filed out until only Curly remained sitting peacefully with Rosita.

"Come on, Rosita," Eric encouraged her. "You don't have to read all those sad poems at the funeral. There should be some other kids here you can play with-"

Before he could finish someone interrupted. "Lamonsoff, is this your daughter? She looks nothing like you and Sally." the tallest man asked pointing at me, I nodded and smiled politely, he held out his hand in which I shook "Lenny Feder" he said smiling, "Rosita... well Lamonsoff obviously and I'm just my Dad's. My mom passed " I replied. I shook the next man's hand "Oh, I'm sorry" and he asked my age then pointed me towards his kids, the boy being close to my age. (12)

I walked over to them, and introduced myself "I'm Charlotte and this is my brother Andre" Charlotte had said with a smile, I complimented their names and we talked until Charlotte started giggling and Andre began grinning uncontrollably. I eyed them suspiciously "what?" I demanded, they kept going, "ever had a boyfriend?" Andre asked, I thought for a minute then began turning my head from side to side fastly." I don't have time for a boyfriend."

"Well, I think he's interested" Charlotte grinned pointing behind me at one of Mr Feder's kids who had his eyes locked on me, I put my hand up slowly and waved at him. A smile spread across his face, but quickly disappeared as his brother whistled and smirked at him. He was kind of cute and good looking.

I swivelled back around and giggled with Charlotte "go say hi" Charlotte said turning me around and pushing me, "what?" I asked.

"Just go" she demanded, I took a last minute glance at her, then started walking towards him. I decided to take a chance and go meet them.

I walked up to them and said " Hi, I'm Rosita. I'm Eric's daughter."

"I'm Greg" he said flashing me a brilliant smile.

The younger boy pushed his way in front of Greg and smirked "I'm Keithie, and I'm single" he grinned

"and you are?" I raised my eyebrows, but he seemed pretty serious.

"Too old for you" I said with sass, he glared at me and walked away, I waved at his back.

At that moment the littlest and cutest one (cutest after Greg of course) decided to step in with her adorable high pitched voice, "I'm Becky" she said and hugged me "oh and I already know you name."

"Oi! All you kids the funerals starting now!" Mr Feder called, Greg and I looked at each and started walking.

I sat next to Greg and Becky while dad sat a few seats down with the others, Greg took my hand and smiled at me, I smiled back, but when I saw dad start glaring at Greg, I glared at dad 'He wanted me to hang out with other kids!', Greg turned around and dad smiled and waved at him. When Greg turned back around I immediately looked away.

When Mr Hillard started singing I was hiding my face in Greg's shoulder to stop myself laughing, but it only made it harder when I felt him shake with silent laughter.

After the funeral Greg and I walked over to the other kids only to find my siblings, Donna and Bean, Donna started hanging out with Charlotte, while Bean and Becky chased and played with each other. I was sitting with Greg and Andre on a bench seat eating cake, when Bean came over to me "Rosie I like your dress, you look pretty in it" he said sweetly, my brother is so adorable, I thought.

"Aw thank you, I think you look very handsome today, you could be a male model, right now" I smiled, he then struck a pose and walked away. I laughed at his cuteness.

When everyone was done eating, we made our way to the cars to drive to the Lake House. "Hey ask your parents if you could come in our car" I told Greg, he ran to his parents and asked them while I asked dad in which he reluctantly agreed to only if his parents agreed to take bean, They agreed after Becky got so excited. "Thanks daddy" I kissed him on the cheek, then got in the back with Greg.

✅ EDITED

1484 Words