Chapter 08: I Deserve This

The pain and despair lacing Imayoshi Shouichi's voice was enough to render me motionless. It felt like I was being stabbed straight to my heart, and I couldn't bear to say anything.

I didn't know what to say. He sounded so hurt, so broken, so miserable.

"Aya-chan, is there a problem?" I shifted my attention to Sakurai Ryo who was eyeing me with a worried frown.

"I'm... I need to go home," I managed to say, my voice unstable. I could still hear Imayoshi-senpai's loud panting on the other line, as if he was running.

He was probably on his way to get me. I was sure of it.

"Is there an emergency?" Ryo asked, the frown on his face only deepened.

I simply nodded my head, ending the call and keeping my phone back inside my pocket. I was beginning to button my shirt up when Ryo suddenly stopped me, holding my hand in place.

"Can you not go?"

I turned to him with wide eyes, surprised. His voice was gentle, but there was something in his stare that told me he was completely serious about what he said. "But I have to—"

"Go to Imayoshi-san?" he finished for me, holding my hand tighter. "Is he more important than me?"

"W-What?"

"I'm sorry, Aya-chan. I can't hold it in any longer." He stopped for a minute, as if gathering his thoughts, then continued in a somber voice, "I just feel like he's more important than me. Even though I know fully well that you two have been together since you were children, I still can't stop this jealousy."

I furrowed my brows. "You're... Jealous?"

"I don't want to, but I can't help but notice the way he looks at you." He squeezed my hand, staring straight into my eyes. "It's as if you are the most important thing in the world for him."

"Ryo, that's—"

"I know. That's not possibly true. You're just friends, right?"

My breath got stuck in my throat as I recalled all of the things that Imayoshi-senpai did and said to me. "Y-Yes, of course."

"Then don't go. Stay with me," he said softly as he palmed my cheek.

"But..."

"You can't?" The sadness in his voice sent me speechless, then the next thing I knew his lips were already latched onto mine, kissing me passionately like what he did earlier. It was as though he was trying to erase all thoughts about Imayoshi-senpai inside my head.

"Aya, please. I'm begging you. Please stop torturing me like this."

As if a glass of cold water was suddenly poured on me, I pushed Ryo away from me with a start, avoiding his gaze. "I'm sorry, Ryo. I need to go."

He looked taken aback, but he was quick to cover his shock with an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. I should be the one apologizing, Aya-chan. Forget everything I said just now, I was just kidding. Sorry."

I bit the insides of my lower lip as guilt consumed me entirely.

I knew he was serious. He was being honest with me, while all I had been doing was lie to him. Again and again.

I should've told him everything. The moment that Imayoshi Shouichi confessed to me, I should've had let him know.

He deserved to know. He had every right to know.