Chapter 02: Always Here For You

"W-What are you doing?"

"Ryo." I forcefully yanked my hands free from Imayoshi-senpai's hold then took a step away, walking towards my boyfriend with shaky knees. I felt like I would faint any minute. My heart was losing its beat because of nervousness and I didn't know what to say. "W-We were just talking about--"

"Something very important, Sakurai," Imayoshi-senpai finished, interrupting me and my lies.

Ryo furrowed his brows as he gave us a confused look. "What is it? Did something happen?"

"N-No," I said, trying to maintain composure, "It's just that.. that..."

What should I say? What should I do?

But I flinched when Ryo crossed the distance between us and palmed my face. His eyes widened then told me, "You're warmer than usual, Aya-chan."

I blinked my eyes rapidly. "I am?"

His gentle hand dragged its way down to my neck, checking my temperature there as he eyed me worriedly. "You have a fever, you need to take a rest. Just stay here at home for today."

"But I have an important test today," I pointed out, suddenly remembering the dreaded exam that I had been barely preparing for days.

I didn't know I was sick. And actually, I wasn't feeling sick at all. Well, just a slight headache which was caused by Imayoshi-senpai's outrageous confession, but that's it. I was okay. I just didn't get enough sleep and it was the reason why my head was hurting.

"Can you manage?" Ryo asked, the expression on his gentle face showed exactly the amount of concern he had for me.

I gave him a reassuring smile. "Yeah. I'm tough, remember?"

His facial expression relaxed a bit and a small smile eased up on his lips. "I'll be there for you if ever something happens. Let's go?"

"You're not going anywhere, Aya. Stay at home and rest."

I froze up when I heard that voice---it was deep, firm, domineering, and worried. I didn't dare look at his face. I didn't want to meet his sharp gaze anymore. But, apparently, Ryo didn't share the same thought as me.

"I'll take care of her, Imayoshi-san. Don't worry," he assured, looking at his captain with sincerity.

Imayoshi-senpai walked closer to us then stood right in front of his team's shooting guard. "Taking care of her is not tolerating her stubbornness. If you care for her, you should know what's good for her."

There was a moment of silence that danced around us. Imayoshi-senpai was looking at Ryo as though trying to intimidate him. I knew that my boyfriend would lose to him, Ryo was much too gentle. So I grabbed his hand and squeezed it lightly. "Let's go, Ryo, or else we'll be late."

He glanced at me through his shoulder. "But..."

I didn't answer and only dragged him away with me, leaving our senpai there who was glaring at us intensely.

"Are you really okay, Aya-chan?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Don't worry," I assured him, eyes focused on the road ahead of us.

I felt his grip on my hand tighten. "Do you and Imayoshi-san have a problem?"

With that, I gulped then shook my head slowly. "No, we're fine. It's just the usual misunderstanding. He's annoying sometimes."

"You know he cares for you, Aya-chan. Just understand him."

I turned to look at him and the innocent, gentle look on his face made my heart cringe in guilt. "Y-Yeah."