Prologue

Imayoshi Shouichi.

If there was one person in the world whom I trusted the most, it was him.

Why?

I had known him ever since I was just a child.

He was my brother figure, he was my "Onii-chan".

He was always there whenever I needed him. Anytime. Anywhere. Just one call and he'd come running to me. He would rub my back, pat my head, ruffle my hair, hold my hand.

He was my supporter, my comforter, my brother.

And my "Senpai".

When I started attending Touo Academy as a freshman, instead of "Onii-chan" I started calling him "Senpai-nii" because he was two years ahead of me—which I thought he didn't like. But, nevertheless, it didn't stop me from addressing him the way I wanted.

Treating him the way I wanted,

...or loving him the way I wanted.

We were like siblings so naturally I'd grown to love him dearly as a brother.

And I thought he felt the same.

"S-Senpai-nii, i-it hurts," I stuttered, wincing in pain as his grip on my hands that were pinned against the wall was getting tighter and tighter.

I couldn't understand why he was acting like this. Why he was so furious, why he was so angry at me, why he was shaking, and why he was looking at me with desperation in his eyes.

I was merely talking with Sakurai Ryo outside the gymnasium when he suddenly popped out of nowhere and dragged me with him towards the empty locker room after shooing my poor boyfriend away.

I felt sorry for my poor Ryo.

"Don't call me that!" he seethed. His Kansai accent was untraceable and all I could hear was a growl that of an animal. "Aya, why can't you see it?"

"See what? I can't understand you, sen—"

"I SAID STOP CALLING ME THAT!" He cut me off, losing his control completely.

I was taken aback, he had never raised his voice at me. Even though I had done some nasty things to him before—and was planning of doing more in the near future—he was never angry with me.

Not even once.

But why now?

I didn't even do anything wrong.

Well, at least that's what I thought at first. Because when I heard what he said next, I realized he was overtaken by an unstoppable emotion.

A strong emotion called jealousy.

"I've always been inlove with you, Aya."

My eyes widened. A loud gasp escaped from my lips as my mind took a hard time contemplating what he just said. "W-What did you say?"

His bespectacled eyes softened as his right hand let go of my left wrist and transferred to the side of my face, caressing my cheek with his thumb. "I love you. Not as a younger sister, not as a friend, not as a kouhai. I love you as a woman."

"B-But..."

I couldn't bring myself to fully buy everything that he just said. It was all too sudden. I opened my mouth to speak but words weren't able to be vocalized.

I didn't want to hurt him. If I'd tell him the truth then...

Then,

I'd lose him and our friendship.