Secrecy has never felt so horrible

Percy's POV

The next morning, everything was really awkward. Jasmine made us all breakfast and tea, but nobody said anything. She seemed really to herself that morning, which I wasn't expecting based on her personality. Annabeth sometimes would act like that when she got mad at me, so I suspected that was why.

Jasmine checked the time and threw everyone's dishes in the dishwasher and walked upstairs.

I sighed with relief. "I'm so tense it actually hurts."

Nico nodded, exhaling loudly. "She's not usually like this, but after what went down last night, she might ignore us for a while. Who knows?"

"For a mortal, she can really hold a grudge," Will mumbled.

"How do you put up with her?" I asked him.

Will frowned. "She's my friend."

I shrugged. "Maybe we'll get used to being ignored."

Jasmine ran down the stairs with her backpack on her back and ran to us, breathing heavily.

"What?" Nico asked. "Why'd you run down here like that."

"We've got to go," Jasmine grabbed the car keys and put her shoes on.

"Why?" Will asked.

"I don't actually know," Jasmine admitted. "There's something bad going on upstairs."

I stole a glance at Nico and Will, who looked a little scared.

"Come on," Jasmine commanded. "We can just wait at the school early. No harm done."

We climbed into her car, Will in the front seat.

Jasmine sped away from the house really fast, maybe a little above the speed limit on the country road.

We got there at 7:50, which meant we couldn't go in for ten minutes.

"Sorry, we just really needed to get out of there," Jasmine huffed, turning off the car after she parked.

"What actually happened?" Nico asked. "You need to tell us."

Jasmine smirked at him, looking over her shoulder at us.

"Funny," Jasmine laughed humorlessly. "I recall you all not telling me anything last night? I also remember me saying I wasn't going to tell you all anything. Don't think I forgot."

I frowned. "This is way more important."

"Oh, you think so?" Jasmine asked. "Not my problem."

Nico scowled, but she ignored him.

"You'll have to figure it out on your own, without me," Jasmine muttered. "I didn't start this."

She had a point. But we couldn't just tell her about being demigods, especially if she was a mortal. I didn't know her enough to figure out whether she would tell people or let it slip out by accident. Everybody couldn't know about us.

When more students started being dropped off, we got out of her car and walked inside.

Jasmine separated from us and went on her own, or to meet up with her friends.

I looked at the guys. "This situation is scaring me. Do you think that Jasmine saw what happened? Is she the demigod?"

Will shook his head. "This has happened to other people before. About a week ago, a girl in seventh grade felt a cold aura on the lawn and was screaming, but didn't actually see anything."

Nico shrugged. "Maybe. Or that seventh grader could be-"

"Shh," I covered his mouth while someone walked past us, eying us suspiciously. "We have to talk about this in private. Set it aside until we're alone."