11. I Am Thankful For...

TWs: hospitals, vague mentions of anxiety disorder and abuse (not related to eachother)

Kian, Grace and I stay in the hospital for hours, talking and laughing and while Kian sleeps, me and Grace sit in silence, and when I look over at her, I see that she's crying silently. I put my hand on her knee to show her that I'm here, and she does the same for me, squeezing my knee.

We say nothing of this when Kian wakes up, though.

Mom comes in about half an hour before visiting hours are over, and she leaves a bunch of food for Kian. We're going to let him eat in peace, but before that there's something we need to do that my family, at least, does every year.

"Kian, what are you thankful for this year?"

Kian looks away, clearing his throat.

"Uhm," he laughs nervously, and looks back at us, "I'm thankful for," he clears his throat again, "for changing schools." The last words are said quietly, like he's embarrassed to admit it. I smile at him.

"Because Wayhild is better than Oakfolk?" I assume, cocking my head to the side. I don't understand why he's so bashful about it. However, he looks at me like I'm stupid.

"No. Because I met you guys," he says, frowning. It feels like my heart expands in my chest. Grace beams at my side and practically attacks him with a hug. Once I see he's comfortable, I join the hug.

We go home after many promises to come back tomorrow. Mom drives me and Grace, saying that after this shock of what happened is probably still messing with our heads. I don't argue.

Grandma and grandpa are in the kitchen together with Grace's little brothers, Michael and Harry. The twins are four years old and very energetic. Though, I think my grandparents think that me and Grace are dating, which is a little funny.

"There he is!" grandma exclaims when I walk in, Grace following behind me to see to her brothers.

"Hi grandma," I give her a small smile. She knows I've been in the hospital all night and day, so she doesn't question my lack of enthusiasm. I'm really tired, and I only noticed when I left Kian's hospital room.

Grandma hugs me and kisses my forehead in the same way mom always has.

"Go take a shower, you stink," she says, not unkindly, and lets me go. I glare at her playfully and leave the room.

The shower is good, even though I cry a bit in the stream. I walk out of it feeling much better than I did walking in.

I go into my room and put the clothes I was wearing yesterday in a pile on the floor. My shirt is splattered in Kian's blood. I don't even remember him bleeding.

Wanting to look decent for Thanksgiving, I decide to wear a loose white button up tucked into a pair of light dress pants. Dad gave me a clock last Christmas that I'm wearing now, and I brush my dark blonde hair.

In the living room downstairs are my parents, Grace's parents, Grace's grandpa and one of the twins (I'm not sure which one).

"Elis! This is John!" dad greets me, dragging me onto the couch in front of Grace's granddad.

"Hello, Mr. Olsson," I say, giving the old man a charming smile.

"Call me John," John tells me.

"John plays chess," dad sounds uncharacteristically excited about this fact, and I surpress a smile.

"I do," says John, "I've played it all my life."

"That's fun," I tell him, not interested but not willing to show it, "do you play professionally?"