Chapter 19

(Gracelynn's Pov)
"We're here sweetheart."said Carter shaking me lightly. "I'm sorry I fell asleep." I smiled over to him. Reaching my arms up to stretch. "No it's alright. I know it's a long drive. Let's get some food, and hit the hotel." He said. "After all you ride at noon tomorrow and I ride at 1 we need our rest" he continued smiling. We decide to pick up some fast food and head for the hotel. Once in I took a shower and changed into my shorts and Carter's t-shirt. "You nervous?" He questioned. "A little it's a lot of money on the line, and seeing as dad died on it yeah I'm a little nervous." I said trying to shake it off.I've rode what feels like a million bulls, but those bulls where just bulls to me.This Bull was different because it was the reason my daddy wasn't with me anymore. Nobody understood why'd I'd ever dream of getting on the back of the same bull that killed my daddy, but honestly I wanted vengeance,and justice for my daddy. Apart me felt like I owed it to him, and that this was going to be the only way to get it. I'd give that bull my everything tomorrow. Even if it meant my life.

The Next Day~
I got up and took a shower changing into my boot cut jeans, and a nude flannel shirt.I strapped on my trusty Blue Birds, and belt. Putting my cowboy hat on my head. I looked in the mirror, applying minimal make up as usual. My hair was in a low braid, so my cowboy hat could fit over it.  I looked myself over in the mirror. And down at my cowboy boot necklace. "Be with me today daddy." I whispered. As the door to the hotel room swung open. In came Carter. Dressed in his boot cut jeans, cowboy boots and his signature black cowboy hat. "I've got breakfast, and it's 10  so we should probably head to the Arena." He said. I nodded my head following him out of the hotel room, and into my truck. He crunk it up, and 15 minutes later we arrived. We sat in the truck in silence as we ate breakfast. "Don't worry about me today." He said in a whisper. I looked over to him. "I know you don't want me to but it's a given." I smiled sadly. "You gotta win this thing." He said. And then he smirked "Or at least come in second" he smiled now. I sent him a wink "The only second place medal we'll be taking home is yours cowboy." I smirked. And he let out deep chuckle. "I just have one question."he said "shoot" I said chewing. "What's next? I mean after you ride this bull?" He questioned. I spent so long trying to make it here,and it was a hell of a lot of work being I'm a girl competing in the men's league, but Carter was right.I spent the last 3 years of my life working,praying,hoping and wishing for this moment. What will I do when it's over? Will this be my last ride. Carter cleared his throat. "Umm I'm sorry I got lost in thought. But to answer the question if I win this it'll be it for me Carter. I'll stop riding. The whole reason I went this far anyway was to do what I came here to do today." Carter smiled and shook his head. "I love you Casanova." He said playfully but I knew he was serious. "I love you cowboy, but I'm not taking it easy on you." I smiled. "Wouldn't dream of it" he muttered back.I look down at my phone. It's 11:30. I didn't realize we'd been talking that long. I looked up to meet Carters eyes. "Good luck kiss?" He questioned. And I smashed my lips to his. "Good luck indeed" I smiled. Getting out of the truck and heading for the entrance. They had all the riders lined up. I was  little late coming in because it started at 11 which meant four people already went.I had a mix of emotions. I was excited to ride the bull that killed dad, but also sad and happy that this would be my last ride. I checked my equipment, making sure everything was in place. As I walked towards the arena, I felt the weight of my father's legacy on my shoulders. I knew that this ride would be a tribute to him, and that I had to give it my all. Despite my nerves,I felt a sense of peace as they called my name, and I climbed onto Fumanchu. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and felt the familiar rush of adrenaline as the bull started to buck, my free hand swinging as it done so and everything riding this bull meant seem to disappear and for a few seconds, I was weightless, free from all my worries and fears. As the ride came to an end, I closed my eyes sucking in the bitter sweet moment and then opened them again looking up to the clock 8 seconds even. A feeling of accomplishment rushed over me and I knew that my daddy would be proud of me and that I had given him some form of justice. I beamed with pride. I Rode one of the toughest bulls in the county and lived to tell the tale.  I wish I could call Caleb. I decide then even if I don't win. That this is it for me. I sat out to finish what daddy started, and I did just that. I decided to go get some food from concession and on my way there a PBR agent stopped me. "Ms.Grace, we'd like to get you a sponsor and have you ride full time. I haven't seen a bull rider like you since Thomas Greene." He smiled. "No Thank you, and just so you know I'm Gracelynn Greene his daughter. He taught me everything I know." I said quickly. Giving my dad the victory.He nodded his head in understanding. "I'm done riding that was it but thank you sir." I smiled up at him. "Well, that was one hell of a run and I'm sure your dad would be proud." He said tipping his cowboy hat forward. "Thank you." I said back. And he walked away. I turned back to concession to order a corn dog, and cheese fries.I had about 30 minutes to eat before Carter rode and they announce winners. Carter was lucky to be the last rider, cause now he knew the scores to beat.
30 minutes later~
I was making my way into the arena to watch Carter when I spotted Caroline. "Ms. Caroline." I called. She turned to look at me. I walked over to her in a haste. "What're you doing here?" I questioned her. Scared she'd seen me ride. "I'm here to watch Carter. I come to all of his rodeos you know." She smiled. "He's a good rider yes?" She questioned. "One of the best" I smiled. "Yes dear that's quite true but not as good as you." She whispered looking at the floor. "How long have you known?" I questioned her. "The whole time, but you're just like your daddy. You wouldn't have quit even if someone told you too. Until you got the one you sought after. " she said smiling a knowing smile. "Don't worry, I didn't say anything to Annie or Caleb." She added quickly and before I could say anything else they were announcing Carter.