Chapter 1 - Introduction

(The picture on top is Michael)

The most expensive restaurant in New South Wales wasn't always used for romance. For the owner, a successful young businessman named Michael, that restaurant was a workplace. He was only in his mid-thirties, but had so many important achievements under his belt that most people his age and above would be envious. Of course, coming from a wealthy background gave him a good kickstart, however he refused to live in the shadow of his family.

One could find Michael in the restaurant eating a casual meal or working after hours in front of his laptop. But this time, inconveniently, he gathered a few business partners to discuss the viability of a new idea. After business was done, the conversation inadvertently took a turn to a more personal subject: romantic relationships and women.

Michael tended to avoid those topics because he had concluded that women were hard to fathom, and that their intrinsic complexity exceeded the intrigue caused by their beauty, no matter how beautiful the woman was. Little did he know that he was about to stumble on his own words when his eyes found a very curious character sitting at a table two meters from his. Although her beauty was undeniable in his sight, what lured him in was the fact that she was black, and black people weren't a common sight in those premises of Sydney for years. For sure, Michael had seen black people before; to him, they all looked very similar, but this woman didn't look like the common black; there was something distinct about her. He kept on observing her, until their eyes met from a distance. She smiled at him as if trying to let him know that he hadn't been indifferent to her either, and then looked away with excellent class, elegance, and poise. Anyone could tell that he was hooked; one of his business partners - and friend - noticed:

"Found someone interesting?" Ferdinand forced his blasé tone, while shaking a flute with champagne in it for a last gulp.

Michael got himself together. "Nobody, really."

"You got a little carried away, though." Ferdinand remarked. After seeing his friend struggling to keep the truth, he replied with narrowed eyes and a cheeky smile: "You did."

Fortunately for them, they were seating side by side, so their conversation was inaudible to the rest of the table.

"That black...?" Michael discreetly pointed.

"Ooh!" Ferdinand noticed the woman quickly. "She's different!" He quickly noticed her poise, for she was eating as if treating the food with all the care of the world.

"Isn't she?" If there was something that could illustrate his feelings, fire would be a good example. "She has never been here... I'm sure I'd remember if she had."

Ferdinand wiped his mouth on a napkin and contained his urge to burp. "How would you know?! You aren't always here!" He almost laughed at his friend's hasty remark.

"I'm just so intrigued by her..."

"I can introduce her to you." Ferdinand understood Michael's struggle within.

Suddenly, Michael's peripheral vision noticed some movement at the African woman's table. He turned to confirm that she was leaving the restaurant, followed by her entourage. "Uh... too late!" There was a hint of frustration in his face.

"I'm sorry." Ferdinand grimaced.

"But you do know her, right?" He asked, hopeful.

Ferdinand clenched his teeth, almost laughing in embarrassment. "Sorry, I don't. But you know that I have a lot of nerve..." He sounded a little tipsy.

"Yeah, you always have a lot of nerve when you've had too much wine." Michael complained, disappointed in his friend for having the nerve to get inebriated in his restaurant, again.
________________________________________________________________________________