Chapter 10 - The resume

( the picture on top is Miriam)

Michael was strategic. He hardly ever took steps unless they helped him achieve his goals. Like his plan of arriving thirty minutes earlier to the meeting at Debora's apartment just to have a chance to be with Miriam. Debora easily accommodated his sudden change of plans, believing the excuse that he needed to be at home by 8 p.m.

He was excited to have a chance to stand in the presence of that woman again. As he was walking into the apartment, he passed by the kitchen and immediately noticed that Miriam was there. As he stopped by the glass door to discreetly observe her, a harmless plan came to mind, but Debora came calling out for him and he got distracted.

"Hey there, ruthless woman!" he greeted Debora.

"So, would you like to go over the contract, so we can start this collaboration, or what?"

"Of course," Michael replied, realizing that Debora didn't have the same effect on him as before. "Let us sign that contract."

They walked into the living room together to find those contract papers on the table. Michael quickly picked them up and sat down to read through them.

"This clause here," Michael began. "means that if there is a prospect of another event happening at any time during this period or at any of these places..." he was interrupted.

"From my company only." Debora reminded.

"So until the event is happening, I have no guarantee that..."

"Michael," Debora tried to calm him down. "The sooner you get the dates and ads out, the sooner everything will be under your exclusive use." She assured him.

"Are you sure?"

"The faster we move with confirming all the dates, the easier to guarantee those locations and accommodations for you."

Michael looked at her with suspicion.

"You're lucky that I can work with you on these terms because this is a conflict of interest with my company."

"I understand." He resolutely replied.

"We have talked about this," Debora argued, knowing how cunning he could be with his words. "Together we even composed a draft of the contract before coming to this end product."

Since he had no other arguments,  he finally signed that contract.

"Happy?!" he grinned, sliding the signed contract to her.

Debora gave him a grin that caused Michael to laugh.

If Michael were to be honest with himself, he would clearly understand that the connection he shared with Debora was far from romantic.

"I'm parched." He complained while slightly pinching his throat.

"Shall I get you something to drink?" Debora offered, moving to stand up. "Mim prepared a refreshing lemonade and we also have water."

"No!" he stopped Debora. "Allow me." He smiled heading to the kitchen.

Michael walked into the kitchen, not knowing how to define his feelings at that moment. But it should be easy to ask for a glass and some lemonade. It was an honest and perfectly normal question, plus, lying wasn't something hard for him.

"Hi Miriam," he greeted her.

"Hi." she curtly replied.

"I came in for some water or some of that lemonade you made."

Without thinking twice, she opened one of the cupboards and handed a glass to him. "The water and the lemonade are in the fridge. Just help yourself."

Michael was seriously curious about Miriam's behavior. She looked annoyed by his presence; he could easily tell.

"You know that I've been coming here for over a month, every day of the week," he commented, as he was pouring out some lemonade into his glass, feeling disturbed by the silence.

"I'm aware of that," Miriam replied, never looking back at him.

"How come you never joined us?" he sipped from his glass.

"I've had other things to do."

"Other than savoring your own delicious food?"

"Well, I'm glad you liked it." She curtly replied, turning off the stove and rolling up the sleeves of her oversized sweater to do the dishes.

"Very much. So much, in fact, that I think you should send your resume to the owner of the restaurant at the Quay."

Miriam was very aware of the restaurant he was talking about. This was a multiple-awarded restaurant that had been strangely closed for a few months now. She knew that most of the Chefs who had worked there were also awarded, there was no way that an amateur cook like her could run a kitchen in a restaurant of such a high category.

"Look..." Miriam scoffed, considering his suggestion ridiculous. "Why would a restaurant of that caliber be willing to work with an amateur cook?"

"Look..." He imitated her tone. "I know the owner." He was the owner. "If you just give me your resume..." Michael insisted. "I can give it to him."

Miriam was slightly offended by his insistence. She couldn't resist the urge to turn her face to look at him disapprovingly.

"What?!" Michael felt tempted to sneer at her, by seeing the look on her face. "Let the owner decide!" He looked at her defiantly, walking toward the sink, nearer to her.

Unaware of Michael's approach, Miriam went back to washing the dishes. It was with a disguised fright that she noticed that he was only a few millimeters away from her. She moved her head up to throw another offended glance at him for invading her space, but he responded to her with another defiant glance. That interaction should have felt like a belligerent duel, but surprisingly this wasn't the case. She was greatly disturbed and stepped away from him, and Michael, swallowing hard, placed the glass on the counter, offering to wash it. Pragmatic Miriam grabbed the glass from his hand and quickly washed it.

"And your resume?" He insisted with a smirk on his face.

"I'll get it." She was so annoyed by his insistence that she gave in, rushing out of the kitchen.

Michael found this woman amusing, her transparency and lack of filter got him. He sniggered until she returned and placed the resume violently onto the kitchen counter.

"Happy now?" Miriam said and quickly left the kitchen.

"Very!" he said with a smug smile on his face.

Michael didn't see her again for the rest of the night. But when he was home, lying on his bed, his elbow jotting to the side, looking at Miriam's picture and her contacts on that resume, his satisfaction was undeniable.