Chapter 8 - Frustrations

Christmas in Australia marked the beginning of summer, but that season was felt weeks earlier because of the temperatures that were higher than usual, reaching record highs. Ferdinand was grateful for the air conditioning that cooled down Michael's apartment, and even more pleased with the mighty pink lemonade in his hand.

He sighed. "What are your plans for Christmas?"

"Probably travel to Melbourne for a family reunion," Michael replied, but his head couldn't be further from the conversation.

Ferdinand observed him and noticed that something was clearly bothering him, but he would address that later because his own needs were a priority.

"And what about New Year's?"

"What about it?" Michael numbly replied.

"Mate," Ferdinand was indignant. "I'm trying to make plans, organize something different for the holiday season, and you reply as if you were on auto-pilot mode," he complained. "What's up with you?"

"Uh..." Michael looked numb. "Nothing."

It wasn't like Ferdinand truly cared, but because he couldn't move past the superficial level of conversation, Michael's problem - whatever it was - had to be addressed first.

"Please, mate. I wasn't born yesterday, and I've known you long enough to know that something is bothering you."

Michael looked at him as if searching for a good reason to ask for his advice. His friend had an inviting demeanor and so, Michael did his sharing.

"Have you ever been..." he didn't even know how to begin, "brother-zoned?" He made up a word hoping that it would help explain his situation in only a few words.

Ferdinand understood what he meant and immediately felt the need to mock Michael for his inability to understand women. Trying to control his urge to laugh, he asked: "What did you do? I mean," he let out a giggle. "To be friend-zoned is bad enough, how do you get brother-zoned?"

"I don't know." Michael sighed, slightly offended by Ferdinand's reaction. "But I know that I don't need you to mock me." he expressed. "It hurts enough already not to be loved in return." he passed his hand through his hair. "Again."

Michael had had three meaningful and long-lasting relationships in his life. But his feelings were never reciprocated. He had always been devoted, giving his all to the other person, but in the end, they would take him for granted and eventually end the relationship, claiming that they were bored. And what could he do? He was taught that if he loved, he had to let it go, so he did, but those women never returned.

"Mate, don't give up..." Ferdinand chanted, with a mocking smile on his face.

"Maybe I should." he realized. "Debora is married."

Ferdinand didn't know about any Debora, it was the first time he heard of this name. "Who is Deborah?" he asked.

"Do you, uh..." Michael wasn't sure if he should share this with Ferdinand. "Never mind."

"Michael!" Ferdinand was impatient. "Do you want my advice or what?" he scoffed impatiently. "Come on, share!"

"That black woman at the restaurant?" Michael tried. "Do you remember her?"

Ferdinand eyed him with an amusing gaze and suspicion. "What happened?"

"We had a..." Michael was about to disclose about the nightstand, but it suddenly hit him that this information wasn't exactly needed. "Her name is Debora."

"What a strange way to say that name..." Ferdinand remarked wrinkling his nose. "Shouldn't it be Deborah or Debra?"

"Uh, no! She corrected me a few times, so now that I got it right, I don't wanna mess it up."