Chapter 3

Chapter 3 – You In Or Out?

"We can talk there" Norman said as he pointed out to the small park in the town square.

The streets where dark and quiet. Nobody was around. The only source of light came from street lamps and the moon. Hally slowed down and landed them both on the soft grass gently. She let go of his hand, which had become slightly moist from the nerves in his stomach. The flying was amazing but the two holiday spirits had come to him for a reason. Something so important that they travelled a long way just to meet him.

Jack floated down and stood next to Hally, who sat on the grass. Jack followed her example as did Norman. He wasn't afraid of these strange people. They were nice and wouldn't hurt him. Well Jack had kinda hurt him with a snowball but he wasn't exactly dangerous. Well he hadn't seen any plough trucks nearby when they were up in the air. 

"Norman" Hally said without looking at him. "Have you ever heard of the Halloween Curse?"

Norman shook his head. He'd heard of plenty of curses from movies and comics but he had never heard of a Halloween Curse.

"The Halloween Curse goes back to the early days of Halloween" Hally said. "I'm the spirit of Halloween. The Curse is said to bring about 365 days of darkness, where the doors of the spirit world will open and unleash thousands of dark souls into this world to reek havoc"

"It's said to have been only done once in the dark ages" Jack said. "But records of the effects of the Halloween Curse have all been either destroyed or lost"

"Okay" Norman said. "What's this curse got to do with me?"

"We have an enemy" Hally said. "His name is Pitch. He's the boogeyman"

"The boogeyman is real too?" Norman asked. "Wait, no, of course he is" Norman joked laughing to himself.

"Norman this is serious" Hally said looking up at him from the grass. "We can't run away from this. Pitch needs to be stopped. This is going to happen if we don't stop him"

Norman was slightly startled by the sadness and fear in her voice. It was evident on both Jack and Hally's faces. The situation was serious. They were telling him the truth. This curse was a serious matter. Another chill ran down Norman's spine as the cold night air, breezed past him.  

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make a joke out of it" Norman said feeling bad as he watched the two spirits.  

"It's okay" Hally said. "This must seem very strange to you, kids your age really don't believe in us anymore. But you can see us, you can hear us"

"You can help us" Jack said as he flicked his wrist and another gust of cold air blew past Norman. 

Norman shrugged, still unsure why these spirits needed his help. He couldn't really do much except try and coax them to move on. But that wasn't the cause. They weren't the usual ghosts he dealt with on a daily basis.