Chapter 2: Sam's Service Mechanic (Featuring TommyInnit)

Summary:

In which Tommy tries to ignore the getaway incident (which is kind of hard with the media shoving it in his face every time he turns on the TV or opens Twitter) but then he has some interesting customers at work which brightens up his day.

Tw: none 🤯
————

Something that usually set Tommy aside from other criminals was how he consistently hid in plain sight. Most experienced police officers tended to look too closely into things and would end up missing the blatantly obvious clues. It was how he hid so easily from the police cars that chased him the other day, the officers expected him to continue down the road and were so convinced that they had correctly predicted Tommy's next move that they had closed off their minds off to any other outcomes, missing the way he pulled into the McPuffy's.

Tommy wasn't sure if he was going to see Chorus or The Blade again after the whole getaway incident, and quite frankly he wasn't sure he wanted to. On top of his criminal record, the last thing he needed was the police or, even worse, the superheroes knocking on his door demanding to know about his connection with The Syndicate.

The idea of Tommy of all people having a 'connection' to The Syndicate, one of the most feared groups of villains in the city, if not the world, was laughable. But it wasn't like the media or the authorities were going to believe him. The media would just jump at the opportunity to twist the story on him and the authorities.. well they'll follow any loose end if they think it will lead them to The Syndicate.

After all the absurd headlines the media had already come up with, he wasn't sure it was a good thing if the Speedster (or the mysterious getaway driver who saved Chorus and The Blade as he was more commonly known nowadays) should make another public appearance any time soon. And so, as he locked the Rolls Royce up in his dingy rental garage the other night, that's when he made the executive decision to lay low until the whole mess had blown over.

When Tommy said he craved some recognition for his work, this was not what he had envisioned.

It had only been a few days since Tommy had gone on the down-low and it already felt like he was slowly losing his mind. He felt so confined to his stingy apartment that he was almost beginning to enjoy his job. Almost. He hadn't quite reached that point of desperation yet, after all, Tommy did work ten hours, sometimes more, on minimum wage as a service mechanic's apprentice. Tommy couldn't be mad though, his boss, Sam, was awesome and always so lenient and understanding whenever he was late to work or gave a well-deserved reality check to an asshole customer.

Tommy absolutely adored his engineering apprenticeship, he was always learning something new from Sam or his co-workers, and there was always something for him to do. At least that was usually the case, on days like these where there's absolutely nothing for Tommy to do, it feels like the longer he stares at the clock, willing time to tick by faster, the slower time passes.

With a groan, Tommy spun around on his chair to face Sam who was working away on an endless stack of paperwork. "Beetlejuice, I'm bored." He whined like a child, dragging each syllable just to make a point. Sam glanced up from his work looking just as bored as Tommy.

Sam, at first glance, seemed like a scary guy, he had cold black eyes that looked like they were constantly staring directly into your soul and fern green hair that stuck up in every which direction, hence he had been dubbed with the nickname 'Beetlejuice', Tommy only saw it fitting.

"Well, you can do this paperwork for me then." Sam replied as he stood and dropped a thick stack of paper in front of him. Tommy let an unimpressed glare speak for him which earned him a light chuckle.

Slightly disgusted, Tommy picked up the first few sheets, "What even is this?"

"Inspections reports, progress reports, test results and there are some forms requesting new equipment scattered amongst the pile." Sam casually listed each item off his fingers as he went on. Tommy could only but blink at the pile of paper in front of him, almost willing the stack to disappear. Man, nothing seemed to be working out for him at the moment.