Chapter 8: Consequences

Summary:

In which Tommy meets a familiar face (and a new friend) in an unlikely scenario.

there's no trigger warnings for this chapter, enjoy!

——-
(Again please say hi to Daniel🤭)

Tommy didn't know a lot. In fact, he knew few things for certain. He knew how to replace a car battery with his eyes closed. He knew English was the most god-awful subject to burden his existence. He knew how to make a grand total of two meals without setting his kitchen alight. He knew that rent for his apartment was stupidly overpriced and due on the first day of each month.

And he also knew that he hated community service. A lot.

The past few days had been hectic for Tommy. For one, he had obviously made his alliance official with The Syndicate. He had then immediately been swept up in a robbery, of which Tommy was still awaiting a form of payment for his services - the thought of being double-crossed did cross his mind. And in all honesty, he wouldn't put it past the bastards.

As he was getting ready to leave his flat, the news had reported that yet another police investigation had been opened up; they were looking into the recent robbery of the Essempi vaults. The other night, as Tommy rushed the supervillains away from the scene of the crime, Chorus had briefly warned him that this was natural and assured Tommy that he would soon become accustomed to the numerous police investigations that would immediately open and then, just as quickly, be shut down due to a significant lack of evidence.

Then, of course, he had begun his fifty hours of community service and needless to say, Tommy hated every minute of it.  (Go into time out you have been bad boy.)

The dreadful day started at four in the morning, just as the sun was peeking over the horizon, Tommy found himself lined up on the side of a desolate motorway on the outskirts of the city, wearing an obnoxious hi vis vest that vaguely reeked of sweat with a litter picker and bin bag in hand.

He hoped that his community service wasn't as bad as he was anticipating, but he was quickly proven wrong; Tommy had learnt the hard way that any abuse of superpowers was strictly forbidden, meaning he couldn't even work at a sufficient speed, only prolonging his pain. At the very beginning of his community service, Tommy had attempted to speed down the side of the road, snatching up abandoned crisp packets, cans and other such litter that were strewn across the place.

After all, it wasn't like he had any reason to hide his power after the police confronted him.

However, this resulted in a scolding from the elderly probation officer who was tasked with supervising and watching every move of each of the criminals. "Hey! No using your superpower!" The officer yelled, hatred blaring in his eyes.

"Why not?" Tommy asked impertinently, conscious of the others who turned their heads. He couldn't tell if it was the word 'superpower' that had sparked their interest, or the confrontation between Tommy and the probation officer.

"Because," The officer began snarkily, "You're here to do honest work to make up for whatever petty crime you committed."

"I can still do honest work with my superpower," He retorted, "If anything, I can get more done if I-"

The teenager was abruptly cut off as the officer shook his head and took a step forward. Tommy instinctively took a step back. "You will do no such thing and, if you keep this up, you'll find that your community service will be extended by ten more hours."

Tommy scoffed, "You can't do that!" There was an awkward pause, silence hung over the crowd. He looked at the other petty criminals around him who had all paused their litter picking to watch the argument unfurl between the two. "He can't do that, can he?" He asked the small crowd. No one responded. Tommy glared at the crowd and turned back to the probation officer, grumbling a half-assed apology beneath his breath.