Chapter 4: The Subway Scandal

Summary:

In which Tommy swings by a Subway to grab some dinner after an excruciating day at work, but it seems he can't even do that in peace anymore.

—-

"Do you accept fifty-pound notes?"

"What?" The cashier looked up, giving him a funny look.

"I only have fifty quid on me right now," Tommy repeated, reaching into his pocket to retrieve a crumpled note before offering it to the Subway cashier.

Wordlessly, the cashier plucked the money from him, and, with a sigh, slid Tommy's sandwich forward.

Tommy would have to admit, carrying around fifty-pound notes everywhere was less than practical and starting to get a little unnerving, whilst money is still money, he just did not want to have to wait for the cashier to count out his change, work had drained every ounce of patience he had left in him today; as it turns out, the company from which Sam usually orders car parts had charged the money for a clutch disc which had not arrived with the rest of the order earlier that morning.

Desperate to get his hands on the clutch disc to fix Phil's car, he had to do the unthinkable: call their suppliers. As one can expect, this quickly resulted in Tommy and the woman on the other end of the line spewing a bunch of vulgar insults at one another - the woman was annoyingly adamant that they had sent the clutch disc among the rest of the parts and equipment. Tommy almost rolled his eyes at the thought of the insufferable woman but he had bigger issues to consider: like where he was going to get another clutch disc from.

On a regular basis, Tommy would take a quick trip to the night market and buy one there, but rumour on the street is that the place was flooded with the authorities and was looking to set up in a different part of the city.

Alternatively, he could always steal a clutch disc from a car parked in the street. It's not like there was a huge target placed over his head since Zephyrus had effectively killed a dozen police officers in one sitting. Or maybe-

"Hey," The cashier pipped up, drawing Tommy's attention away from his thoughts. The cashier stopped shuffling through Tommy's change as he studied his face with a look of recognition plastered across his face, "You're that guy from the McPuffy's drive-through the other week, aren't you?"

A nervous laugh slipped past him, "Uh, what?"

"Yeah, it is you, isn't it? You pulled up to the drive-through with The Blade and Chorus in your car!" The cashier stated rather loudly causing a few customers to cast some judgmental looks in their direction.

Then everything clicked into place. From the overgrown mop of hair that was held back by the green subway cap to the small goat horns protruding from the nest of hair, Tommy wasn't sure how he hadn't recognised until this moment; this guy was the worker at the McPuffy's window.

"Listen," Tommy paused as he leant forward, squinting to read the goat-boy's name tag, "Tubbo, you're clearly getting me mixed up with someone else."

The cashier, Tubbo, shook his head and said adamantly, "Nuh-uh, it was definitely you."

"There's no chance, I don't eat at McPuffy's, I'm a vegan," Tommy spoke the lie with ease.

Tubbo glanced between Tommy and his sandwich, "You literally ordered a steak and cheese sandwich."

"Well, then you must've misheard me!"

Before Tubbo had the chance to reply, the door suddenly swung open with such abruption and force that the whole restaurant shook for a second. Watching as the colour drained from Tubbo's face, Tommy followed his gaze to the door, only to be met with the sight of two supervillains looming at the entrance of the Subway.