Chapter 9: A Slither Of (What Once Was) Normality

Summary:

In which Wilbur drags Tommy halfway across the city for some breakfast.
——-
(HOW TF DO I SPELL DANEAL IS IT Daniel???)
(No shit i sat here 20 min thinking about dat💀)

The journey across the city was painstakingly slow.

If it weren't for Wilbur's presence, Tommy would've sped across the diameter of the city, heading straight to work without so much as a second thought; but Wilbur, for some incomprehensible reason, seemed adamant about getting breakfast for the two of them.

Tommy couldn't stand pitiful favours, and he suspected that the only reason Wilbur invited him along was because of his stomach growling at an inconvenient time. And yet, for some idiotic reason unbeknownst to him, Tommy had succumbed to Wilbur's offer and agreed to go. Regret began to sink in as he pictured the constant sad, piteous looks that would be thrown his way during breakfast. For a split second, Tommy contemplated bailing at the last minute, but he couldn't help the twinge of guilt that formed in his gut.

He couldn't just flake on Wilbur without a justified explanation.

So, Tommy kept his mouth clamped shut and refused to complain as Wilbur guided Tommy through an intricate maze of dingy alleyways which led the duo to an equally dreary train station which fed into the city's underground system.

The two hopped over the ticket barriers with ease and shortly found themselves sandwiched between a series of odious strangers on the tube.

They sat in an awkward silence–Tommy mulling over in self-pity, questioning what had compelled him to join Wilbur–until Wilbur pointed at an advertising poster for Hamilton that was framed behind scratched, murky plastic.

This had instantaneously sparked a conversation about musicals; Wilbur continuously rambled on about how he had front-row tickets to Hamilton whilst, every now and again, Tommy jutted in with comments about his own experience with the musical which wasn't anywhere as near exciting. When Hamilton had toured around the world and landed in Essempi, Tommy didn't have the money to buy tickets. Let alone stall tickets. But he had still seen the digital adaptation online and was more than inclined to contribute to the conversation for Tommy had never met someone who was willing to exchange conversation about musicals.

Tommy grew so engrossed in their conversation that it continued, even when he and Wilbur got off at their stop and began worming their way through the familiar streets of Westway. It took a handful of minutes before Tommy's eyebrows drew together, confused, as familiarity sunk in.

Why were they heading towards Sam's Service Mechanic?

"Uh," Tommy began, halting Wilbur's excessive rant about why the Cats movie is the most god-awful musical-to-movie adaptation to ever disgrace the cinematic world, "Where are you taking me?"

"Just a breakfast diner," Wilbur replied just as equally as confused.

"Near Sam's?"

The man nodded in response, "Well, you said you had work soon so I figured it'd be more convenient if we ate more locally so it would be less of a hassle for you to get to Sam's after we ate."

Tommy blinked, slightly taken aback by the implied kindness behind the man's consideration. Though the blond's immediate shock flashed past his face for only a second before a smirk twisted on his lips, "You do know I have superspeed right?" He asked, "Because I can get from Eastbound to Sam's garage in less than ten seconds, mate."

Wilbur huffed, running a hand through his hair as he shook his head, clearly he had not thought of that, "Well you could've mentioned that before I dragged you across half the fucking city!"